PDA

View Full Version : MaxCap RO questions

makdoogle
04/17/2007, 07:38 PM
I just bought my first RO system, the Spectrapure MaxCap. I have a couple of questions. What all is needed to have an automatic shutoff when the resevoir is full? How long is it ok to not be producing water once you start? I see alot of people have extra gadgets in their RO set-ups, besides possibly a booster pump, what else do I need? This will be on the wall next to a laundry sink so access to water and drain is not a problem.

AZDesertRat
04/17/2007, 08:44 PM
What are you using for a reservoir? I use a 14 gallon pressure tank myself, similar to the drinking water tanks but larger is all. That way I have 11+ gallons of pressurized RO water on hand all the time which I can use for drinking, cooking, ice maker or for the MaxCap/Silica Buster DI filters.
If you are using something like a Rubbermaid trashcan or aquarium it can be something as simple as a float valve if your MaxCap has an autoshutoff valve installed. For better reliability you might step up to a solenoid valve and float switches or even one of Spectrapures liquid level controllers. It can be simple or complex whatever your comfort level is.

My unit never sits for more than a day or two since it is also used for drinking water but they can sit idle for a few weeks at a time if they are not exposed to bright sunlight and/or excessive heat. Both can contribute to algae, bacteria and virus growth inside filter housings and this applies to any RO unit regardless of manufacturer.

Why do you think you might need a booster pump? Mine is a 90 GPD and in the winter (if you can call it winter here in Phoenix!) with a water temperature of about 52 degrees and a pressure of 64 psi at the membrane I get 62 to 64 GPD. In the summer with water at 64 degrees and pressure the same I get 102 GPD.

Here is a picture of mine mounted over the laundry sink.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/2006_08_31021.jpg

makdoogle
04/17/2007, 09:08 PM
I haven't decided what to use for a reservoir yet, probably a trash can or something similar. Quite simply, I just want something that stops filling the reservoir when it's full. I'd rather spend the money on something quality if it will be better than just acceptable. This won't be set up until I close on my house May 31. I'd like to get all the necessary components before I move while I can still afford it. I won't know if I need a booster pump until it's set up. How often are these needed?

AZDesertRat
04/17/2007, 09:16 PM
Not often. You will probably have somewhere in the 50 to 60 psi pressure range which is good, the only thing that may reduce output would be cold water. To get an idea of the effects that temperature and pressure have on an RO units output take a look at the Buckeye Field Supply Sponsors Forum. Rus has put together a cool calculator so you can plug in "what if" numbers and it will give you pretty accurate flows.

For simple all you need is an autoshutoff valve on the RO/DI and a float valve in the trash can.

makdoogle
04/17/2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your time. I see you have a couple shut shut off valves are these needed for my system mine didn't come with any.

AZDesertRat
04/17/2007, 09:42 PM
No they are not needed. I put one on the incoming line to make it easier to change cartridges without having to shut off the cold water at the washing machine. The other is used because I replumbed my DI filters. I have RO only water going into my 14G pressure tank and a seperate line coming back from the pressurized tank to operate the DI filters. I use the valve to turn the DI on and off. If you notice I also added a second pressure gauge so I can see what my house pressure is as well as the pressure after the pre and carbon filter that actually enetrs the RO membrane, this shows me the pressure drop across the filters so I can see if the filters are plugging, which by the way has not been a problem at all.

makdoogle
04/17/2007, 09:48 PM
I see. Thanks again.

sivert55
04/18/2007, 12:22 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have questions similar to makdoogle's:
I'm trying to find a good diagram for how to plumb an RO setup with parallell 75gpd RO membranes. Can anyone direct me to such a diagram?

GuySmilie
04/18/2007, 12:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9753411#post9753411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by makdoogle
.......I won't know if I need a booster pump until it's set up. How often are these needed?

Macdoogie, if you're really curious, go to Lowe's, H-D, etc.
Where they keep the well pumps, filters etc, they should have a liquid pressure gauge fitted with a garden hose connector. Can't remember the brand right now, but they go for about $6 or so.

Then head over to your future home and just attach it to an outdoor water spigot and see what your pressure is. Maybe try this during the day when everyone is at work/school and no water appliances are running when you test. This is what I did once when I purchased a new house and forgot to check out the pressure during inspection.
Guy

GuySmilie
04/18/2007, 12:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9753184#post9753184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat

Here is a picture of mine mounted over the laundry sink.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/AJOIII/2006_08_31021.jpg

AZDR, I notice in your setup that the SpectraPure units have a gauge mounted directly to the membrane housing. I've been wanting to do that with my unit for awhile also. Is that just simply a drilled and tapped hole with a 1/8" MIP gauge fitted to the hole?

The reason being, I already have a gauge on the input side of my prefilters and would like to have one on the output side of the prefilters.
Guy

AZDesertRat
04/18/2007, 08:41 AM
The housings are made with the hole already. You can install one on a John Guest tee where the line leaves the carbon and before it enters the membrane very easily though.

GuySmilie
04/18/2007, 11:12 AM
Yes I realize the SpectraPures ship that way. I was just inquiring as to how they have the meter mounted. I would drill and tap my housing if that is all it amounts to.

I've already got enough JG tees & fittings on my 'contraption'. :D
I'm just looking for a way to get an extra meter into the mix without adding to the clutter.
Guy

jmait769
04/18/2007, 11:53 AM
AZDesertRat – Just curious - what you do with your waste water? I’ve seen some threads where they run the waste water thru a second RO membrane. It just seams a waste so I catch mine and use it outside (where it is captured) for the wife’s garden. Is the waste water safe for a freshwater tank? Any thought appreciated!!

Jay

AZDesertRat
04/18/2007, 12:53 PM
Right now I am being a bad person and sending it down the drain. I just purchased a second SpectraSelect RO membrane so I intend to run it through the second membrane doubling my product water with the same waste and probably pipe the waste to my flower beds utilizing an air gap for backflow protection.

raddogz
04/18/2007, 02:29 PM
How do you it through a second membrane?

AZDesertRat
04/18/2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.spectrapure.com/huds/DUAL.pdf