PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser Crust Pic Or Info

Radiography14
04/17/2007, 10:28 PM
After stirring the kalkwasser in your resevoir that poeople use for their tank how much of a top layer of crust do you have. mine is like breaking potatoe chips into crumbs and spreading it lightly on the surface. ...its a really fainy looking crust......what should it be thick? faint ? anyone have pics or can someone describe?

proboscis
04/17/2007, 10:31 PM
how thick is your kalk mix? how many cups or tablespoons full per
gallon?

Radiography14
04/17/2007, 10:38 PM
i have a 20 gallon trashcan and i did 2 teaspoons per gallon. then i was stupid and removed about half the water thinking it was took much. then in new ro/di to replished what i took out then i added 5 teaspoons. so i am all messed up with measureing. now i have all this water but dont know how stong it is. how thick is the crust of kalk on top basically?

proboscis
04/17/2007, 10:41 PM
i would just dilute this batch with r/o and remake the next up to par w/ your normal routine. but thats me

proboscis
04/17/2007, 11:07 PM
not thick @ my house but i use 40 ml of vinegar i have a kent doser 2.5 gallons after solution settles the kalk mix is relativley clear. some settles to the bottom

cecilturtle
04/17/2007, 11:24 PM
Radio,

I have had good results at 1-2 heaping tsps/gal of RO/DI. After it has thoroughly mixed, I cut pump off and let the Kalk settle a day or so. Just before I use, I push/ break surface film with a cup and wait a few minutes while debris quicly settles. I transfer my kalk to a seperate container for autodrip but you may have another method. Either way, my kalk is clear.

Putawaywet
04/18/2007, 01:40 AM
Unless I've missed something you really can't over-kalk your kalk mix. Only so much will go into solution, so as long as it has had a chance to settle out, your decanted water should be good to go. Once settled, my water is relatively clear, not crystal, but definitely not milky white.

Crusting is just the kalk reacting with the air. The more air that comes into contact with your mix, the bigger the crust. I mix in a 5 gal jug with a tight screw cap so I get almost zero surface crusting.

Brett

Putawaywet
04/18/2007, 01:40 AM

rick s
04/18/2007, 07:00 AM
Is there a lid on the trash can? Are you opening the lid often to look at the "crust?"

You are turning off the pump, correct?
You do not have an air line on that pump, correct?

I use Mrs. Wages and barely get a film on mine.

As others have stated. How much kalk is "out of solution" and settling on the bottom really shouldn't kmake any difference where the kalkwasser meets the air (crust).

Radiography14
04/18/2007, 09:30 AM
thanks for your responses guys ..it is very helpful...Thats true you really cant over due your kalkwasser with water mix. because what is not saturated falls to the bottom. thanks for the info . ... i have a rubbermaid 20 gallon trash can with a maxi jet pump connected with superglue to a 7/16 clear hose attached inside. Its held on tight with the superglue. It pushes water about 6 feet up.

I use a nano stream powerhead to mix the kalkwasser in the tank for like 15 min. Works great. I am using the ATO top off controller with float sensors. one is in my trash can to allow the pump not to run dry and the other is in the tank..... have a great day everyone