PDA

View Full Version : did my snail just do what i thought it did??

StunnaShadez
04/18/2007, 12:24 AM
tonight while observing my tank i noticed my trochus snail being crawled all over by pods. i thought this was interesting because they were getting free rides. while further observations, the snail kind of stood up and let go a lot of very very very small balls. this lasted about 3 seconds or so. there were literally thousands of the little balls. about a minute later i was observing the other trochus, then to my surprise it did the same thing as the first one. after the first trochus released it my clownfish went nuts trying to eat all of it. is it possible that the trochus is releasing eggs? i grabbed my clear cup and scooped up a cup of water containing the possible snail eggs hoping that it will hatch and so i can confirm that it is in fact eggs. this can be a real problem because i have a small tank, an aquapod 12g. well i do hope it is eggs because i dont have good luck with snails living long. any idea what this could be?

fed-exguy
04/18/2007, 12:29 AM
egg, my do it on my LR...........my trochus laid eggs yesterday, last time they did it on one side of my thank, it sticks on the LR/acrylic.......i got a $his lode of them now......

StunnaShadez
04/18/2007, 12:35 AM
yeah but instead of laying it on the LR or glass it released it in the water and let it flow throughout the tank

greenbean36191
04/18/2007, 04:11 PM
Which is what you would expect them to do. Most trochoideans are broadcast spawners rather than egg layers. There is no use in keeping the eggs you gathered. They are infertile and won't hatch.

fed-exguy
04/18/2007, 04:38 PM
cook the egg's taste like chicken...........:>

Lpabsolute
04/18/2007, 05:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9759456#post9759456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fed-exguy
cook the egg's taste like chicken...........:>

LOL

jcr6479
05/07/2007, 11:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9759289#post9759289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
Which is what you would expect them to do. Most trochoideans are broadcast spawners rather than egg layers. There is no use in keeping the eggs you gathered. They are infertile and won't hatch.

Not true. I have baby trochus snails all over my tank even in my skimmer body and sump even though I run a filter sock. Is this normal?