PDA

View Full Version : First Time Skimmer User - Coralife Super Skimmer 65

Azial
04/18/2007, 01:01 AM
Today I got a CSS 65 for a song, $19.00 brand new. I am running an Aquapod 24, and plan on a DIY Sump/Refugium in the future where this will eventually relocate.

I have the model "side saddle" on the right hand side of the tank and honest it doesn't look bad at all. However I am a complete newbie when it comes to Skimmers and I can't make heads or tails of the instructions.

There are two adjustment valves. One on the pump which it instructed to open "50%" during the break in. Additionally there is a red adjustment knob on the return section. Well the problem is by looking at the instructions I can't tell which is on or off. Damn picture shows both the on and off as the same position so it just confused me.

Here's my issue:

When I try to keep the pump valve at 50% open the sucker fills up into the chamber above, so I turn it down just a bit and it seems ok and is producing micro bubbles in the chamber seeming ok. However it's intolerably loud. Mind you I figure this is due to the valve in it's current position and I read the direction it only needs to be in this position during the break in. Fine with me. However if I try to adjust it anywhere but this position it either produces 0 bubbles or overflows.

So I keep it in the loud position and follow the directions and "adjust" the micro bubbles for the break in position. Well this is less then overwelming If I turn it to the right, which I assume is "open" (Who can tell?) it starts to overflow into the cup, if I have it to the left it barely makes micro bubbles and if I try to do the middle position it's not much better.

So I am confused, I feel like I am doing something wrong and I have read and re-read the directions. What should I expect? What should I look for? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Azial
04/18/2007, 09:39 AM
Nothing eh?

Village Idiot
04/18/2007, 10:37 AM
Never used one of those skimmers, but they get consistently bad reviews. That's probably about as good as it's going to get. In this hobby, you usually get what you pay for.

Texas Reef
04/18/2007, 10:54 AM
Set the valve for the pump at 50% and then use the red knob to adjust the water level in the skimmer.

If it overflows no matter what you do then you will have to shorten the tube that connects the pump to the skimmer by cutting it. If you have to do this, be sure to only cut a little at a time...

dirtyclownfish
04/18/2007, 06:17 PM
This skimmer is worthless, I couldn't stand it for more than a few months! Ditched it not too long ago a bought a D&D Typhoon.

salty55
04/18/2007, 06:39 PM
i have one and it works great. please dont cut anything yet! make sure the top of the pump is no less than 3 inches below the waterline. adjust by sliding the skimmer up or down in the bracket that hangs on the back of the tank. then turn the red valve all the way down. after that slowly open then big valve from the pump until the waterline-bubbles are at the top of the collection cup ring. and just let it set there for a week or so to break in. as it breaks in you will slowly open the big valve until it's fully open. then you are ready to skim! after that it will just be slight adjustments on the red knob to keep the water level slightly into the cone of the collection cup.

Azial
04/19/2007, 12:59 AM
Still can't figure out if the Water Control valve is open or closed, the picture is worthless. Int he picture of the manual the small dot next to the peg is on the left side of a darker peg I am assuming this is "closed" and if you turn it to the left all the way it's now open?

Robert German
04/19/2007, 05:04 AM
Had one a few years ago, a great bubble machine,it filled the tank with them.I fought with that stupid bubble basket for weeks and,-----nothing. It never did skim good and after getting it to run a little better, one morning hear water splashing check the skimmer and the cup is running over and spirting water out of the hole in the lid onto the wall behind and on the floor. Next stop for it,------the trash bin.:mad:

jeffgp
04/19/2007, 07:08 AM
i use one ... have the valve wide open on the pump and just use the red knob to control the water ... yes its a little loud but mine is unter the tank so you dont hear it anymore ... it will work if you give it some time .....

salty55
04/19/2007, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9762866#post9762866 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Azial
Still can't figure out if the Water Control valve is open or closed, the picture is worthless. Int he picture of the manual the small dot next to the peg is on the left side of a darker peg I am assuming this is "closed" and if you turn it to the left all the way it's now open?
turn the red valve all the way to the left to turn it down.

mg426
04/19/2007, 02:03 PM
Biggest, most worthless , miserable piece of crap I ever wasted money on.

Inflames
04/19/2007, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9766432#post9766432 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
Biggest, most worthless , miserable piece of crap I ever wasted money on.

Even worse than a skilter?

aclos3
04/19/2007, 02:21 PM
Actually, people in this hobby frequently pay more than they need to. This skimmer works fine, but you need to be a little patient fine tuning it.

During your break in, set the pump valve to 50% (you can later open it to 100%). I can't remember what my instructions said, but for breaking in, I left the red knob all the way to the lowest setting (smaller circles) for a few days.

I have found that the best way to tune mine is to turn the knob to an appropriate bubble level (just below the red piece that fastens the cup was fine for me) and then leave it alone for a few minutes. Then, every so slightly increase the flow on the red knob and LEAVE IT for a few minutes. Once you get the type of skimming you desire, don't touch the knob.

My only frustration with this skimmer has been that it seems to behave quite differently once the collection cup's tapered inner piece gets coated with gunk. It means that I have to retune it a little bit each time I clean it. I run mine in sump, so bubbles are able to get out before they get to the return section... I really comment microbubbles.

Bang for buck, this skimmer is awesome, just give it some time.