PDA

View Full Version : Majano outbreak

ade
04/18/2007, 08:46 AM
In the last month I have had a majano outbreak in my 180 reef. As of now it has only killed elk horn witch grows like a weed but i would like to get rid of it. I have been grabbing them when I can and placed rocks on or near them so that I can take them out. I guess what I am looking for is sometime that eats them that is reef safe. Fish or nidi.
Please help.
Thanks,
Ade:confused:

fload
04/18/2007, 09:04 AM
Yea I'm in the same boat tried peppermint shrimp so far no luck.... joes juice works but I can't reach some of them...

Nanook
04/18/2007, 09:12 AM
Racoon Butterflyfish will eat them, but the collateral damage may not be worth it to you in the long run.

I would take the rock out one piece at a time and carefully pull each majano off until they are all gone, then feed sparingly to avoid overnight breakouts:D

hobogato
04/18/2007, 09:32 AM
[edit] sorry, posted wrong comment in this forum.

fload
04/18/2007, 09:45 AM
Can't take the rock out.....

GSMguy
04/18/2007, 10:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9756146#post9756146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nanook
Racoon Butterflyfish will eat them, but the collateral damage may not be worth it to you in the long run.

I would take the rock out one piece at a time and carefully pull each majano off until they are all gone, then feed sparingly to avoid overnight breakouts:D

what kinds of corals will a racoon eat?

fload
04/18/2007, 10:28 AM
Looked em up they eat a lot of coral and shrimp and crabs

tnn1567
04/18/2007, 11:16 AM
I would just make kalk paste and nuke each one of them one by one. Always work for me in the past. I wouldn't waste my money on Joe's Juice since it looks like kalk mixed with water.

desertfish
04/18/2007, 11:20 AM
Good luck. You’re going to have to remove them yourself. Buy removing rocks and injecting the individuals. And you need to do it sooner then latter. They spread very fast. I tried a copperband and other butterfly fish. They didn’t work. Although the copperband took out all the feather dusters. They are not interested in the little majano’s.
Peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia but they won’t touch majano’s. (I had about 15 in the tank at this time) I used the aiptasia control by blue vet. It worked well for individual injections. And on the large rock a Kalkwasser dip for about 15 mins. Sometime a had to did the rocks two days in a row. This was on a 150 bow front. And it took about a month and a half to get rid of them all. This was my personnel experience. I tried all the this eats that and that eat this. It didn’t work for me. Like I said good luck and I hope you get a handle on those little buggers.

DoctaReef
04/18/2007, 12:46 PM
I am fighting Majanos also in my tank right now, and im having alot of success with Joe's Juice. The new formulation works really great and you pretty much can watch them melt before your eyes. I also haven't had any problems with it hurting any corals, stony or soft. I actually killed some in the middle of a Zoanthid colony, and the zoas closed up for a day, but opened up and grew back with a vengence now that the majanos are gone.
All you have to do is drip the Joe's Juice with a syringe onto the anenome, and watch it die.

Big Boy69
04/18/2007, 12:57 PM
Copperband butterfly.
I got one and it got rid of all of mine and eats flake, live and frozen food now.

ade
04/18/2007, 01:58 PM
Taking the rock out is a no no being as most of the rock are mid tank and I have tried JJ and they came back with their family and freinds for a party in my tank.
Thanks for the input, looks like pulling them one at a time is the best solution.

GSMguy
04/18/2007, 02:05 PM
kalk paste i just killed about 50 of them with it turn all the pumps off and coat them in it with the joes juice syringe

heretolearn
04/18/2007, 03:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9757814#post9757814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big Boy69
Copperband butterfly.
I got one and it got rid of all of mine and eats flake, live and frozen food now.

my CCB did the same thing .

GSMguy
04/18/2007, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9758791#post9758791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by heretolearn
my CCB did the same thing .

mojanos or aptasia???

Dejavu
04/18/2007, 04:15 PM
A good friend of mind had a mojanos greak out in his 300 gal. One Racoon Butterflyfish later and there all gone.

GSMguy
04/18/2007, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9759313#post9759313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dejavu
A good friend of mind had a mojanos greak out in his 300 gal. One Racoon Butterflyfish later and there all gone.
what specific corals do they eat?

RV8tor
04/18/2007, 06:14 PM
Kalk mixed with RO water and cover the mojanos in the paste, you want it to be fairly thick but thin enough to stick to the pest. I have done up to 50 in one night with no harmful effects on the neighbors. Mojanos love the light and will move up towards it . no need to take any rocks out. Good lock I have been mojano free for over a year.

ade
04/19/2007, 05:55 AM
The way my tank is set up I can only reach the front side of my tank, unless I take my hood off and that takes two guys. Didn't you get a high spike dosing that much kalk?

GSMguy
04/19/2007, 07:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9763330#post9763330 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ade
The way my tank is set up I can only reach the front side of my tank, unless I take my hood off and that takes two guys. Didn't you get a high spike dosing that much kalk?

went to 8.7 for a few hours and its back to normal now

if you think about it a teaspoon of kalk in a gallon of water doesnt make it spike. so why would a teaspoon on the mojanos?

ade
04/19/2007, 08:55 AM
Because when you place a teaspoon in a gal of water for top off you should be driping it over a long period of time. When you place a teaspoon of kalk raw in a tank at one time is a shock on the tank. What is your normal tank PH reading? anytime you jump 0.2-3 can not be good. I would go with killing about ten with paste but 50 IMO is a lot more that a teaspoon.

JerseyReef
04/19/2007, 07:14 PM
Many many moons ago when I used to post on a regular basis, there was a thread (or maybe two) where it was discussed that the natural diet for bi-color angel is Majano, hence the reason for their poor track record in captivity.

Some research indicated that the stomach contents of bi-color angel contained Majano.

I think some follow up threads by some reefers indicated that they had some success with the bi-color's for long term majano control.

GSMguy
04/19/2007, 07:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9764213#post9764213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ade
Because when you place a teaspoon in a gal of water for top off you should be driping it over a long period of time. When you place a teaspoon of kalk raw in a tank at one time is a shock on the tank. What is your normal tank PH reading? anytime you jump 0.2-3 can not be good. I would go with killing about ten with paste but 50 IMO is a lot more that a teaspoon.
no i used a teaspoon only

normal ph is 8.2 it jumped but i had to get rid of them from now on i will kill only a few at a time more frequently

my corals were affected by the swing but everything is fine now a day later.

i dont reccomend anybody adding their kalk fast i have seen what can happen