PDA

View Full Version : New Super Skimmer

Azial
04/18/2007, 10:32 AM
Re-posting here since I am new to skimmers and I think I put it in the wrong forum:

Today I got a CSS 65 for a song, $19.00 brand new. I am running an Aquapod 24, and plan on a DIY Sump/Refugium in the future where this will eventually relocate.

I have the model "side saddle" on the right hand side of the tank and honest it doesn't look bad at all. However I am a complete newbie when it comes to Skimmers and I can't make heads or tails of the instructions.

There are two adjustment valves. One on the pump which it instructed to open "50%" during the break in. Additionally there is a red adjustment knob on the return section. Well the problem is by looking at the instructions I can't tell which is on or off. Damn picture shows both the on and off as the same position so it just confused me.

Here's my issue:

When I try to keep the pump valve at 50% open the sucker fills up into the chamber above, so I turn it down just a bit and it seems ok and is producing micro bubbles in the chamber seeming ok. However it's intolerably loud. Mind you I figure this is due to the valve in it's current position and I read the direction it only needs to be in this position during the break in. Fine with me. However if I try to adjust it anywhere but this position it either produces 0 bubbles or overflows.

So I keep it in the loud position and follow the directions and "adjust" the micro bubbles for the break in position. Well this is less then overwhelming If I turn it to the right, which I assume is "open" (Who can tell?) it starts to overflow into the cup, if I have it to the left it barely makes micro bubbles and if I try to do the middle position it's not much better.

So I am confused, I feel like I am doing something wrong and I have read and re-read the directions. What should I expect? What should I look for? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated

Frick-n-Frags
04/18/2007, 10:40 AM
have you checked their website?

I think most skimmers can regulate the water through it (the pump one) and the air going into the "bubble maker" whatever needle-wheel, venturi etc. somewhere within the range of those two adjustments is the sweet spot that will make that thing work correctly.

Ignore the directions for a minute here.
Is there a setting on that air adjuster, when the pump is wherever it seems best, that makes nice bubbles but doesn't quite overflow the top? If you can find that, get it there and let it run there for the day (unless it starts overflowing again then turn something down a little more :D).

a super clean skimmer seems like it absolutely isn't working until it seasons up a litttle. so don't freak out.... yet :)

Azial
04/18/2007, 10:54 AM
Yup I checked Coralife's Website to find a contact email address and to see if they had a knowledge base or something else. They did but it was a re-print of the directions.

Right now, I have the "Needle-Wheel Adjustment Valve" on around 20% (Which should be 100% at full operation after break in) and I have the other valve I can't make heads or tails of, It's labeled "Water-Level Adjustment" Valve.

Here is a direct link to what I am refering to under "Pre-Operation" section:

Super Skimmer Instructions PDF (http://www.esuweb.com/productinstruct/pdf/096316330009.pdf)

What I get when I adjust the water level is very little bubbles, maybe 1/16th to 1/8th inch layer and the "Water-Level Adjustment" valve doesn't do much, but if I change the needle wheel valve all it does is make the water either raid or drop.

snulma1
04/18/2007, 12:15 PM
AZ,

I have the same model, here is what you need to do....

1. Turn the Skimmer off/unplug it

2. The knob just above the needlewheel pump should be closed 50%, turn it so the top faces 10 o'clock.

3. Plug skimmer back in, and using the water level knob (red dial on top) adjust it so the micro bubbles are just below the collection cup.

4. If you are not getting alot of microbubbles, find where your airline tubing is (the tubing that runs from the strainer portion of your needlewheel pump) it should be connected to a muffler of sorts. Make sure that grey canister the tubing is connected to is above the water level and not clogged up.

5. keep an eye on the water level in the skimmer, you may have to adjust it while it is breaking in (using the red knob).

6. After 1-2 weeks, slowly start turning the needle wheel adjustment knob to 100% (12 o'clock) then adjust the red knob to the right level of kind skimming you want (wet or dry, you can follow the directions that came with the skimmer).

Good luck! Its a good skimmer, just takes a little tweeking to get it in line at first!

snulma1
04/18/2007, 12:21 PM
oh yeah, it should quiet down as it breaks in, but if it needs to be quieter quicker, try placing something between the body of the skimmer and the tank like a piece of cloth, if that doesn't work, try placing the same cloth under where the skimmer clamps to the side of the tank. Most of the noise is vibrations.

gabegmonkey
04/18/2007, 12:27 PM
The red knob is the "Water Level adjustment dial"

It should be in the "open" position(the side with the big circle)

Plug it in and turn the valve above the pump until the water level is right at the red ring on the cup...

then adjust the red knob so that the bubbles are above the red ring but below the taper on the cup...

Also make sure that the output has clearance from the bottom of the bubble diffuser(the square gray box thingy) it will act crazy if they are jammed together... they suggest a minimum of 1"

if it still acts crazy double check the air-inlet silencer(the little tube thing with the tube attached) make sure it's allowing air to pass thru (some people have had to drill out 1 or both tubes)

Azial
04/18/2007, 02:00 PM
With regards to the Water adjustment Valve, I get it that the side with the circle is the Open side, the problem is.... Which is open and which is closed?.. I.E. When looking at it from the top it looks like this currently:

_ o _ <----- Little circle close to the left

Or should it be :

_ O 0 0 0 0 o _ <----- big circle to the left

Because you can read that both ways, if the big circle is on the right or the big circle on the left?

miker12
04/18/2007, 02:17 PM
hi, i also have that skimmer. i found that that the air silencer was pluged (new out of the box )and the onley way to get a lot of bubbles was to run all the valves open full. then i drilled out the air silencer and then it worked the way its supposed to..

Nano Chris
04/18/2007, 02:20 PM
I use an air pump with my CSS 125 i get more skimming that way.