PDA

View Full Version : Starting to Dose Kalk

Cshradr7
04/18/2007, 04:44 PM
I know that there have been tons of questions about these things, but I just want to check to make sure that I am doing this right before I destroy anything.

Current Set-Up:
I have a 30 gallon finnex tank that I am going to begin topping off with kalk. Currently, I am topping off with pure RO/DI water that I keep in a 10 gallon tank in the base of my stand. I use a JBJ auto top off system with a maxijet 1200 to pump water up through a 1/2 in tube to the back of my display tank. Stuck in the end of my 1/2 in delivery tube is an "anti-siphon" thing that is supposed to be used with airline. the outlet tube is only about 1/8 inch and dramatically slows down how quickly water is added to the tank from the top off chamber.

Plan:
I'm going to replace this pure RO/DI water in my top off tank with kalk water - 2 table spoons per gallon - 20 table spoons total for the 10 gallon tank. The kalk water will be added to the tank by small amounts as the float switch calls for top off. Currently, I believe that about 1-2 gallons are evaporating per week.

The kalk water will be added to the far left back chamber (when looking at the tank from the front). It will be flow into the second chamber where it will enter the return pump which will force half of the water through the refugium (far right chamber) and the other half directly into the display.

Does anybody see any problems with this setup? Will the kalk water hold its quality for the 3-4 weeks it takes to empty the top off water tank? From what i've read, it is best to keep this water stored just still, rather than agitating or passing air through it, is this correct?

Thank you very much,
Colin

jdieck
04/18/2007, 07:37 PM
The Kalk will hold OK for the 3-4 weeks without a problem, insure that the powerhead is off the bottom not to pump any sediment that will form.
I think the setup is OK although I would prefer to replace the powerhead with a doser pump (some are realy inexpensive). My concern is that the restriction at the end of the tubing calls for a smaller flow, a smaller flow will make the powerhead heat up and the heat will precipitate inside the powerhead which may plug the tubing or lock the impeller or brak the impeller pallets.
Here is a link to a reliable but economic dosing pump:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AM-70100&Category_Code=Dosers

Radiography14
04/18/2007, 08:10 PM
here is a tip if you plan to replace the water that is evaporated with kalkwasser from a trash can tub or a resevoir. i drilled a couple of holes on the end of the tube that arcs over the tank so that it doesnt create a siphon and back flow the water out of my tank. i use the ATO electonic top off system it works great. just super glue some egg crate around the bobber in the tank because if a snail hangs on it it can over flow your tank...hahahhaha... i had to box it off and do some super glue stuff

Billybeau1
04/19/2007, 12:01 AM
Also, (and I don't know how jd missed this one), it is two teaspoons not two tablespoons.

Of course you can use tablespoons but you will be just waisting lime. :D

jdieck
04/19/2007, 01:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9762711#post9762711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Also, (and I don't know how jd missed this one), it is two teaspoons not two tablespoons.

Of course you can use tablespoons but you will be just waisting lime. :D
Right I missed it within the long post, I think I am getting used to read the same thing that I am starting to skip words, let it be a lesson :D. The dose is two teaspoons (of 5 ml each of 2.85 grams of powder each)

Billybeau1
04/19/2007, 02:08 AM
" Did I write what I wrote ? What the heck am I talking about !.. Well .... nevermind "

Goodnight jd. :D you said it , I didn't

jdieck
04/19/2007, 02:26 AM
Good Night Billy!

Cshradr7
04/19/2007, 09:48 AM
haha yeah i caught that teaspoon thing right after i added the lime to my topoff tank last night...sooo i wasted about 20 gallons worth of lime. oh well it was cheap and from what i've read, the extra will just precipitate out of the water and settle to the bottom.

jdieck
04/19/2007, 12:03 PM
Yes, no harm done other than wasting some lime. That's Lame :D