PDA

View Full Version : please help me

marc200
04/18/2007, 05:38 PM
ok my plan was to dose alk with bicarbonate soda daily if need be and do the same with calcium now if i keep these two in the right parameters does that mean magnesium will be at the right level as well or will i have to supplement this? (will have to test it and find out I suppose)

allot of people on here use limewater and other such things to add alk but i am not confident enough yet to start doing this so part from having to dose every day is there any probs with this method above ?

thank you in advance for any advice and tips

marc

marsh
04/18/2007, 06:23 PM
Marc this sounds as if you are going to use Randy's "Two Part"....which is three separate solutions:
Alk - NaCO3 - baking soda
Ca - CaCl2 - Dow flake, or other
Mg - MgCL2 + MgSO4

In general you get your Mg to appropriate levels...1250-1350 ppm. System will require periodic replenishment, but nowhere near Alk and Ca replacement...hence "Two Part".

Figure out your volume
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

Get the Mg correct
http://reef.diesyst.com
Then work on your Ca and Alk...with "Two Part" using the same calculator.

After these are at correct levels, you can use the same calculator for 24 hour or other replacement schedule with approproiate testing.

reefnetworth
04/18/2007, 06:25 PM
Dito! Kent Tech-M is my choice for Mg suppliment. have a great night! :)
JDM...:cool:

Ebmorri
04/18/2007, 06:28 PM
I have posted on your SG question and I would recommend handling one thing at a time. Get your SG down to at least .026 then start to look at dosing and other things. Livestock might not like having to deal with the SG swing and the CA and Mag swings all at the same time. Also if you are not testing it don’t add it.

marc200
04/18/2007, 06:31 PM
ok so i will dose soda when necessary and calcium and do the same with mag

test daily and adjust accordingly, yes?

marc200
04/18/2007, 06:40 PM
thanks everyone

jdieck
04/18/2007, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9760266#post9760266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marc200
ok so i will dose soda when necessary and calcium and do the same with mag

test daily and adjust accordingly, yes?
The consumption of Calcium and ALkalinity is relatively stable. Once you find out how much your tank is needing you will find out that you basically need to add the same amount every day. Once you find that point there will be no need to test daily but just once a week.

marsh
04/18/2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Marc above is a reference for normal parameters. Your specific gravity according to another post 1.028. Recommended is 1.025-1.027...you are not too far off.

Most importantly you need good stuff to test with.

Recommend -
1. Refractometer ATC type
2. good test Kits for Ca, Mg, Alk, Phos....first three Salifert...Phos D-D from Deltec or PO-19 from Hach
3. Temp probe ..
4. pH probe
5. other tests Nitrate
6. RO/DI

This is an expensive hobby...but if you don't measure things well you may lose those expensive fish and/or corals.

BTW you could get your sg down easily with a little math. Strongly recommend ATC refractometer.
Fix your Mg first then Ca and Alk...but you goota measure and test first...

marc200
04/18/2007, 07:40 PM
ok well water parameters are as followed

calc 420
9 DKH
salinity 1.028 – this is on a swing arm but am getting a Refractometer
phosphate 0
nitrate, nitrite, ammonia all 0
ph 8.0 on a drip test need to get probe/pen

mag need to get a test kit for

part from salinity is there anything else that needs tweaking I am using R/O water

thanks all

marc200
04/18/2007, 07:45 PM
is Kent a good brand for calcium supplements

marsh
04/18/2007, 07:54 PM
Kent is good.....may cost you alot overtime if this is your only replacement. Look up the chemistry articles at the beginning of the chemistry forum. Some do it youirself mixes. Also the chemistry calculator by jdieck has specific replacement recommendations by manufacturer...including Kent.

marc200
04/18/2007, 08:22 PM
only replacing calc, mag, alk, at the moment when i am happy with these i will add anything that i can test for

Will this work for now?

is Dow flake hard to use?

jdieck
04/18/2007, 08:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9760948#post9760948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marsh
Kent is good.....may cost you alot overtime if this is your only replacement. Look up the chemistry articles at the beginning of the chemistry forum. Some do it youirself mixes. Also the chemistry calculator by jdieck has specific replacement recommendations by manufacturer...including Kent.
marsh:
Thanks for the note but I can't make a recommendation of one product over another as I have not used them all or tested them all. The calculator just lists the products that can be used to adjust either parameter. Some products may have advantages or disadvantages over the other products or contain other by products that you may or may not want in your aquarium and that is very system dependant.
Some can not be used to increase Calcium only without also increasing Alkalinity so those are more suitable for supplementing both in a maintenance fashion, some others will adjust only one parameter while others may add other supplements and trace elements with them. Some are manufactured with very high purity raw materials and others are just generic out of the shelve stuff like baking soda or Dow flake whose purity is not warranted for aquarium use but have become very popular because of the low cost.
My best recommendation is to evaluate each supplement in the list for its own merits although we tend only to look at cost.

marsh
04/18/2007, 09:36 PM

jdieck
04/18/2007, 10:02 PM
Now you are confusing the heck out of me :lol: