PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Fish suggestions for 30gallon long

10" Red Devil
04/18/2007, 10:24 PM
The total system volume will be closer to 35 gallons, but whatever minor technicality Im sure.

Anyway was wondering whats out there that is going to look amazing? NO CLOWNS! No offense to the clown lovers but they just bore me. Also no six line wrasse or like temperment fish, I have tried to keep them with 100% failure! Sooner or later they all no matter wheather I reset the territories, take them out, isolate for a while and reintroduce or add them last turn into holy terrors and kill any other fish in the tank. I just don't think they are suited to nanos unless they are the only fish. Also no Anthias, Im not sure one could go in this tank but I do not have the time or the inclination for that matter to feed multiple times a day, once a day is all your going to get out of me.

Also I have SPS and Clams. So yeah have at it! Oh and the tank is barebottom to add insult to injury!

Any recommendations welcome! Looking for a full compliment of fish for the tank. Really would like to get something colorful as that is part of the reason I setup the tank. I like colorful things, the more colorful the better.

Thanks in advance!

Cozen89
04/19/2007, 04:24 AM
I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have a 50 gallon and I'm looking for some rare colorful small additions to my tank. Since I'm limited to only a few fish I want to get the best ones I can.

Some fish I've been looking into are:

Cryptic wrasse (pink streaked wrasse)
Possum Wrasse
Mystery Wrasee
Carpenters flasher Wrasse
Mcosker's flasher Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse might be too big for your tank

If you really want something rare and kind of cool I like the flaming prawn goby but it's super small and pretty expensive. Probably won't see it much either. Oh wait, you have a bare bottom don't you? Hmmm, oh well there goes that idea.

I also have a coral beauty. I like it. Doesn't bother my Zoes or frog spawn. Not surea bout your SPS tho.

Saw something called a Frivivertex Pseudochromis which looks kind of cool and website says it's peaveful, but pseudos ahve a bad rep.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Good luck

Sigmund
04/19/2007, 07:29 AM
Don't consider the leopard wrasse, it needs a sand / gravel bottom to survive...

Masauda Peppermint Hogfish is a real cool reef fish. I have one now and I love it...

chrisstie
04/19/2007, 08:57 AM
I have a possum wrasse, they stay small 2 inches? love him, very docile and peaceful

mile sq. reefer
04/19/2007, 09:57 AM
Yellow Assessor, Helfrichi Firefish, Geometric Pygmy Hawk
(Plectranthias Inermis), some pseudos ( orchid, springeri)Swissguard basslet, Pacific Candy basslet, Carmabi basslet ( lots of $$$).

MTB
04/19/2007, 10:11 AM
Helfrichi firefish, lineatus fairy wrasse, laboutei fairy wrasse. A few of my favorite fish.

RichConley
04/19/2007, 01:23 PM
"lineatus fairy wrasse, laboutei fairy wrasse"

Almost none of the fairy wrasses will be ok in a 30g. Those two certainly wont.

10" Red Devil
04/19/2007, 01:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9764656#post9764656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mile sq. reefer
Yellow Assessor, Helfrichi Firefish, Geometric Pygmy Hawk
(Plectranthias Inermis), some pseudos ( orchid, springeri)Swissguard basslet, Pacific Candy basslet, Carmabi basslet ( lots of $$$).

Are you recommending all of these fish to go into a 30 gallon together? or just some options to choose from? Thanks.

LisaD
04/19/2007, 01:52 PM
Large orange toadfish, Opsanus beta. It would be the only fish. I had one for years on my desk at work in a 20L. Your sized tank would be better. As you can probably tell, I tend to post in the aggressive forum. But I think it's a very cool fish, does not require sand bottom (but needs floor space).

http://mikepic171.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/toadfish.jpg

stykthyn
04/19/2007, 10:43 PM
I would go with an angler or frogfish of some sort. then you can go buck wild with your corals.

hootie51
04/20/2007, 07:34 AM
I vote for a possum wrasse as well. Very cool fish to watch and not overly popular.

kodyboy
04/20/2007, 08:34 AM
lubbocks fairy

falconut
04/20/2007, 09:20 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but for those who have Possum Wrasses - Don't they hide all the time and occationally dart from cave to cave? I though that's what I've read. If not, what other fish do you have them with?

Kanicky
04/20/2007, 11:04 AM
Why not a Midas Blenny? Gorgeous coloration and a wonderful personality to boot! Mine is always out and about, front and center, in the tank.

10" Red Devil
04/20/2007, 01:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9773602#post9773602 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kanicky
Why not a Midas Blenny? Gorgeous coloration and a wonderful personality to boot! Mine is always out and about, front and center, in the tank.

Are they algae eaters or planktivores? Thanks.

nosferatu51
04/20/2007, 04:03 PM
Mine seems to nip on the glass, but also eats the cyclopeeze I put in. I say both?
Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in 2 or 3 days since I rearranged some of the tank (including his home)....wonder where he is.
I think marine bettas are awesome fish. People complain about them being shy, but mine is nothing of the sort. Just don't keep them with really active fish and they will come out and just sorta hover mid tank. Beautiful with their long flowy fins. Granted it might restrict your other tank members (eg: no shrimp or small fish), but a very cool fish nonetheless.

zemuron114
04/20/2007, 05:03 PM
pair helfrich, yellow assessor, midas blenny, pygmy hawk

thats what i would probably do for a 30 gallon :)

b.branscombe
04/20/2007, 06:44 PM
I think a leaf scorpionfish would be cool.

hootie51
04/20/2007, 09:22 PM
falconut, my possum is out all the time. True, he is constantly swimming in and out of the rock work but he does not hide. In fact, one reason I like him so much is because he does not always stay in the water column but goes in and out of the rocks...it's like getting to see what they are like in the wild...if that makes sense! I have him with an allardi clown and a midas blenny and although he is very docile he has never been bullied by the other fish. He has been with me the longest. Sorry for the long post!

Blue H2O
04/20/2007, 09:52 PM
Red Devil, it's funny but you pretty much completely eliminated what I have in my 30g long. I have 2 O Clowns (agree, run of the mill, but they were for my girlfriend), 1 Sixline Wrasse (gets along with everyone and I am a fan), and a Valentini Toby (which I would have suggested if you didn't have Clams and Stony Corals).

I guess it's useless info, but just struck me as funny.

mile sq. reefer
04/21/2007, 08:30 AM
10" - this is just a list of possible choices not a stocking list.

Cantonesefish
04/21/2007, 01:33 PM
Fu Manchu Lionfish! They're a dwarf lionfish, really cool looking, and very uncommon (won't harm corals either). Definitely fits the bill.