PDA

View Full Version : ALKinity to High

saabore
04/19/2007, 09:22 AM
My alkinity in my nano is high. It is sitting at 14 DKH for several days not. Other then changing water, what is another way to lower it.

This little guy just went through it's cycle and a complete water change two days ago.

EdKruzel
04/19/2007, 09:36 AM
You probably need to bring your calcium up.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

This Newbie area is really horrible if you guys don't look around at all the forums with more specific topics for your interest.

The Reef Chemistry Forum has a sticky near the top entitled: Reef Chemistry Articles. In there you will find hundreds of articles that can make even someone like me a chemistry expert in no time at all.

JustADude
04/19/2007, 09:46 AM
what are the rest of your params ? how are you maintaining you cal and alk ?
it is rather hard to say and or answer you question till we have the other numbers , is you cal high as well , or is it low ? how are you testing your params ?

drummereef
04/19/2007, 10:11 AM
What brand test kit are you using? What salt mix? Are you dosing any buffers etc...?

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

saabore
04/19/2007, 11:21 AM
Thank you all for your help. I use Reef Crystalss, Salifert test for everything with the exception of calcium. For calcium i use LaMotte.
My other parms are calcium 400, PH 8.2, magnesium 1320. Of course, ammo,nitrite and nitrate are at zero.
And by the way, I do reference other material, it is just difficult to absorb and memorize all the data. I was under the impression that this forum was intended to get quick responses to a concern based on others experience. Drummer alsways seems to have links handy and is quite experienced. but thanks anyway EdKruzel. No hard feelings.

drummereef
04/19/2007, 11:26 AM
Boy, that's strange then. Maybe it is just high from the cycle, although I don't know how/why this would be possible. The best medicine for high alk is to let it drop on its own in most cases. As the tank stabilizes hopefully it will come down.

Have you tested some freshly made saltwater to see what the alkalinity is of the Reef Crystals batch you have?

saabore
04/19/2007, 11:27 AM
Hey, JustaDude, i use Kents liguid Reactor to supplement calcium and to buffer the nano. Perhaps i need to get some calcium without buffers so that I can bring up the calcium without raising the Alkinity. Maybe that is what is wrong. I have a 120 and 135 gallon reef and they seem to run more stable. The nano is kinda licking my rear side.

drummereef
04/19/2007, 11:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9765265#post9765265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saabore
Hey, JustaDude, i use Kents liguid Reactor to supplement calcium and to buffer the nano. Perhaps i need to get some calcium without buffers so that I can bring up the calcium without raising the Alkinity. Maybe that is what is wrong. I have a 120 and 135 gallon reef and they seem to run more stable. The nano is kinda licking my rear side.

Ahh, that's it! Most likely it is the Kent product that is raising your alk. A 2-part suppliment would probably suite your needs better. I use Randy's diy and it works great and is cheap. I would stop dosing for the moment and let the alk fall on its own. ;)

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Also, when dosing any alk/ca/mag suppliments, use this calculator:
Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

:)

saabore
04/19/2007, 11:32 AM
Drummerreef, sure did. i mixed a new batch this morning and checked. I came in at 9 DKH which is cool. In my Nano it just seems to cree up while everything else is good. I had set this guy up before and shut it down for tha reason, but decided to give it another attempt. maybe it has to do with the calcium/Buffer that I use. Like I said I use Kents Liquid reactor. I like to run my tanks at about 425 calcium but target 9 DKH.

drummereef
04/19/2007, 11:34 AM
Yes, it's definitely the Kent product then. I edited my post above for you. ^^^ ;)

saabore
04/19/2007, 11:38 AM
My typing is terrible. I just reaqd what I wrote earlier and saw I typed the Nano is licking my backside. I meant KICKING my bachside. I hope the moderators do not get on my case.
Drummereef, I will get some two part or some straight calcium to adjust calcium when iit goes lower then my target zone. Where do you get your product? Any pictures of your tank? how is your Corraline algea doing? I am trying to get mine to develop.

saabore
04/19/2007, 11:41 AM
Drummerreef, I just saw the link. I will take a look at that. Thanks for your help. what was that link that you set up to deposit contributions? :-)

drummereef
04/19/2007, 11:43 AM
LOL. I didn't even notice that. You can manually adjust your calcium with Kent Turbo Calcium. Just use the calculator provided to target your levels. Let the alk fall on its own and once the target has been meet you can start maintaining with 2-part. You can buy B-Ionic or make your own. I put a link to Randy's 2-part in the previous post. I use Randy's. It basically consists of two seperate additives. Once is alkalinity, which is made from baking soda. The other is calcium which is made from calcium chloride. I use Prestone Driveway Heat for my Ca part. There is a mag suppliment but it's explained in detail in the article. ;)

drummereef
04/19/2007, 11:44 AM

drummereef
04/19/2007, 11:45 AM
Drummerreef, I just saw the link. I will take a look at that. Thanks for your help. what was that link that you set up to deposit contributions? :-)

Send all donations to drummereef@.................. j/k. :D

saabore
04/19/2007, 01:09 PM
Cool, Thanks again.

drummereef
04/19/2007, 07:17 PM
No problem, anytime. :thumbsup: