PDA

View Full Version : Starting my first (ever) system..........125 gallon display; 215 gallon system.......

reefman13
04/19/2007, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone, I have been doing research on saltwater reef aquariums for a year as of now. I have just started aquireing equipment and the tanks I am going to use on the system.

I have a 125 6 foot long by 22 inches wide by 19 inches deep display. It is not drilled so I will be purchasing 2 Lifereef custom 900gph overflows. I will have a Mag 18 running for a return on the system. The one overflow will flow into a 20L refugium that will have a single baffel and a filter sock attached. Then with the single hole drilled there will be a pipe flowing into the 40 gallon sump, where my ASM G1-X and Euro Reef RS80 will be along with 3 Phosban Reactors. One with phosban, one with carbon, and the other will be configured as a calcium reactor. Then I will have a 20 gallon for RO water storage and a 10 gallon with a 250 watt MH for a frag tank which will have a DIY overflow to the sump. I will have a Mag 3 running to the frag tank with either a MJ 600/900. Thats the system so far. I will start out with 2 or three MJ 1200's with mods, and then I will hopefully upgrade to Tunzes in the future.

I know I don't know everything so any advice will be taken into consideration, and potentialy instituted. Please post if you have ANY advice.

Thanks

NightShade00013
04/19/2007, 12:03 PM
Read up on the forums and take it slow when setup. Saltwater tanks are a huge learning process.

I am going to be getting a tank sometime in the next few months and have already learned a lot from reading about other people's systems. I already have a 55 gallon tank that has been given to me by a friend that I plan to use ase a sump and plan on around a 120 gallon reef ready tank. I am going to build my own cabinet and hood after that all decisions are up in the air.

reefman13
04/19/2007, 12:06 PM
well I am also building a shell to go around my Iron stand (which I sanded and applied a new coat of rust free paint to.

I will post a diagram, when I have got it done.

dbui
04/19/2007, 12:12 PM
Wow nice start out 125g great, just read and do lots of research on RC will help you as you go along. There are tons of thing will come up. Good luck!

reefman13
04/20/2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks, for the comments I am busy preparing a list of the first 2 fish I hope to have after 8 weeks of having the cured LR added to the system.

Here's the diagram:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/reefman13/tankdiagram.jpg?t=1177076804

reefman13
04/21/2007, 10:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^Back to the top^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would still like input;)

saltyfishy123
04/21/2007, 11:26 PM
Heres my input,

1) I woudn't do a frag tank as you are new and dont even have a GSP frag

2) Phosban reactor calcium reactor?!? never heard of it as it wont work

and
3) The phosban reactor with carbon won't work as you can't fluidize carbon.

and all these would just be a waste of money,

Frag tanks are good when you thank is full of corals
and one or two phosban reactors with phosban carbon would be enough. I would get filter socks for for the over flows.

mr pink floyd
04/22/2007, 06:40 PM
i dont see a problem with a frag tank, however,

i wouldnt trust 2 HOB overflows, thats just asking for trouble. You obviously have money, take it to a glass shop and get it drilled for 15 bucks.

also, pat, you can fluidize carbon, it just breaks apart, which is bad