PDA

View Full Version : inconsistant drip rate on reactor

Justin/TiV
04/19/2007, 11:05 AM
I know someone had a thread on here about this recently, but I can't find it. It was about the maxi jet and back pressure, and someone put a tee on the feed hose, someone suggested a different pump

does this ring a bell, anyone know what the thread was called ??

thanx

jdieck
04/20/2007, 03:49 AM
I can't find the thread but inconsistent dripping is usually due to plugging of the effluent valve, accumulation of trapped air or bubbles in the effluent line that loops up and then down or inconsisten feeding flow or pressure that can be solved by installing a powerhead.
Feeding with the powerhead is easy, just connect the feed line to a submerged powerhead. Because the flow is too small to properly cool down the powerhead it is advisable to drill a hole in the hose near the powerhead outlet so more water flows trough it and the excess trough the hole is returned back to the sump.
Instead of a hole you can install a T with a John Guest valve so you can adjust how much flow to return or you can just use the coupling with the hole to inject air that comes with the powerhead and do not plug the hole. If using a maxijet 1200 that coupling is the one that holds the fan like piece. Remove the piece and insert the hose into the coupling. (You may need to remove the two little pins that holds the fanned piece to inser the hose)