PDA

View Full Version : Hey yo, new 2 salt, salt question

NewJerseyMan
04/19/2007, 12:14 PM
SO I GOT A TNK FROM A FRIEND TDAY

I HAVE the tank abnd a light

just back from store and have a coral (green/yellow) and a really AWESOME fish. FIsh is like drangonet the store told me.

Newaysz my questions, how much salt do I use I put in like 2 cups of what i had in the kitchen, it seems pretty salty

can i just put the fish in now?

THANKSS

platax88
04/19/2007, 12:17 PM
this has to be a joke right???? please say yes

nsreefer
04/19/2007, 12:20 PM
Okay if you are serious, please take the fish and the coral back to the store. Next buy some books on modern saltwater fish tanks may i suggest the contientious marine aquariust by robert fenner ( i know i spelled that wrong). Do research for a at least a month or so here on reef central before you do or buy ANYTHING. This is not a hobby to dive into headfirst. You need to be prepared to invest a substantial ammount of time and money to be successful. Also ask tons of questions, you will be shocked at what you learn. Hope this helps, and by the way welcome to reefcentral.
Mike

Reeses
04/19/2007, 12:20 PM
I really hope this isn't a troll.....

But, just in case it isn't.....
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
take those fish and corals right back right now to the store for refund or future credit, you can't put anything into that tank until it's completely set up and has time to sit for a bit. Then you need to research the kinds of fish you think you want to keep and determine if they are suitable for your setup.

Please also fill out your current tank information with all of your equipment you just aquired, including light specs.
Otherwise, we here aren't going to be much help. If you don't slow down and take those critters back, your going to kill them.

Reeses
04/19/2007, 12:22 PM
Oh yea, and
[welcome]

Where the information highway and marine enthusiasts meet! :)

Reeses
04/19/2007, 12:58 PM
Well, that's not good. He just registered today and this was his only question.

Nano Chris
04/19/2007, 01:23 PM
Wooo back up... you don't put salt from the kitchen in the tank, you need salt that your fish store sells for marine aquariums.

Take the stuff back to the lfs, and get a book, i suggest The New Marine Aquarium, it teaches you everything about setting up a saltwater tank, and how to take care of it.

davidryder
04/19/2007, 01:35 PM
I can't believe you guys are entertaining this! Go back to guarding the bridge :p

connecticut cichlids
04/19/2007, 01:39 PM
it's quite disturbing to see threads like this....:(

Reeses
04/19/2007, 01:59 PM
I know, it's ludicrous, but then I stop and think, "what if this person really did this?"

I bet over 1/2 of the people who want a freshwater fish walk into a store and walk out with all supplies in hand, including livestock. With the market slaughtered with bettas and goldfish, it's not out of the question for someone to actually think this about saltwater.

sunfish11
04/19/2007, 02:05 PM
Sure, this could be a real person. You hope not, but it could.

A guy I work with today asked me seriously if Morton's salt would work to keep a nemo. 43 year old guy... and engineer no less...

MTB
04/19/2007, 02:36 PM
Please say you are joking!!!!!!!:(

You didn't even try to research on the web? I mean at ALL!!!!!

AS11423
04/19/2007, 02:42 PM
Everyone responding in this thread, I am selling a big bridge that connects Brooklyn to Manhattan. Dirt cheap prices. PM for details.

airinhere
04/19/2007, 03:00 PM
Actually, I think a book titled the Contentious Marine Aquarist would be the title for a great book. It could be a collaborative work by authors who disagree about everything and could highlight the many ways to keep saltwater tanks. I think it would be hilarious reading and could be used to showcase the pros and cons of many elements of reefkeeping. And it could originate about someone like newjerseyman who is interested in saltwater aquaria but hasnt devoted a major portion of his life to learning every nuance of the hobby.

pmvalenti
04/19/2007, 03:18 PM
he has to be joking

danch
04/19/2007, 03:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9766838#post9766838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by airinhere
Actually, I think a book titled the Contentious Marine Aquarist would be the title for a great book. It could be a collaborative work by authors who disagree about everything and could highlight the many ways to keep saltwater tanks. I think it would be hilarious reading and could be used to showcase the pros and cons of many elements of reefkeeping. And it could originate about someone like newjerseyman who is interested in saltwater aquaria but hasnt devoted a major portion of his life to learning every nuance of the hobby.

Wish this board had rep points! The more I think about it, the better I like that book idea!

CT1258
04/19/2007, 03:24 PM
Definetly a troll, dont give him a thought.......................CT

Roy G. Biv
04/19/2007, 07:16 PM
I hope he uses kosher salt.

davidryder
04/19/2007, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9766838#post9766838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by airinhere

I understand the sarcasm, but not the point of this :rolleye1:

airinhere
04/19/2007, 08:14 PM
NSREEFER advised getting the concientious marine aquarist by R Fenner. He misspelled it and I thought, the contentious marine aquarist was actually an interesting idea for a book. There are so many different methods of reefkeeping out there. Hope I spelled it right!

IslandCrow
04/19/2007, 08:15 PM
Actually, I've been asked on more than one occasion if I use table salt for my aquarium.

davidryder
04/19/2007, 08:18 PM
Ahhh!! I missed your spin on Conscientious!! Ok, now LOL :lol:

nsreefer
04/19/2007, 08:19 PM
I just realised how badly i miss spelled contientious... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

davidryder
04/19/2007, 08:19 PM
It's one thing to ask what kind of salt we use and another to actually mix up water with table salt... in fact, two different worlds.

Mojo Jojo
04/19/2007, 08:31 PM
:lol: Really funny dude

Reeses
04/19/2007, 09:44 PM
It should be the 'Contentious Marine Aquarist' would only cover two topics......DSB and BB. I bet that would fill a few hundred pages and get more than a few hundred people very agitated.

I'm not sure what was funnier, the original joke or the fact no one got it without an explanation. :lol:

hodgepodge1983
04/19/2007, 10:00 PM
HEY YO all fish places that sell fish type shops should have a warning that sezs a 2.0 or higher GPA is needed for marine aquariums LIKE WHATT!!!!!! IT CAN GET MAD HARD DUDE!@!!!

;)

navipro1
04/19/2007, 11:20 PM
Dude, you can't use those Morton Table Salt for your fish or corals, you need to go to Home Depot and get those water softner salt, much cheaper, a huge 5 gallon bucket size for $3. I've used it as an experiment after cycling it for 2 months, the shark I caught from the ocean lived for over a month in it, I guess it starved to death after a month cause it wasn't eating. **:) ...Wink Wink... But as for your situation, I would definantly return all the livestalk back to the store for credit or refund because you would need to run your water mixed with Marine Sea salt made specifically for salt water fishes and corals for at least 3 weeks (called cycling) and measure the saltiness of your water using a hydrometer, your local petshop sells all this. Research on the internet for more info on "How to keep Saltwater fish", but then again, you found Reef Central and as a pre-newb to this, thats pretty good, I didn't know about Reef Central until after almost a year into this saltwater hobby...so this must be a joke.

AquaReeferMan
04/20/2007, 12:08 AM
:lol:

boxfishpooalot
04/20/2007, 03:39 AM
never mind :lol:

Tang Salad
04/20/2007, 04:00 AM
Can we say, 'Moved On'?

Roy G. Biv
05/31/2007, 07:00 PM
I was just thinking about this today and laughed again, I had to revive it :)

kwaters
05/31/2007, 07:57 PM
Y'all notice....he has not responded back at all. Probably a joke.

And "I've got some Ocean Front Property in Arizona...."