PDA

View Full Version : Iwaki MD70RLT Pump Question

lines_michael
04/19/2007, 02:13 PM
I won't even say why I am asking this question. You can probably figure it out.

I just bought a pump that needed new bearings, replaced them and them went to try it out...........

It didn't act like I thought it would.

Can someone tell me whether this is a pump that is both in sump and out of sump.

If it's not in sump....how much damage did I do?

discotu
04/19/2007, 02:42 PM
external pump only. did you test it in fresh or salt water? Sometimes with other electronics you can rinse in DI water and clean with rubbing alcohol, but considering the main body is not servicable, I am pretty sure it's toast...especially if it went into salt water.

lines_michael
04/19/2007, 05:28 PM
That sucks! Anyone else out there have any snake oil I can use on this pump????

lines_michael
04/19/2007, 05:34 PM
It was actually regular water that I was testing it with...maybe I will get lucky and it will come back to life.

discotu
04/20/2007, 09:48 AM
for the record, i wouldn't consider my suggestion as "snake oil"...there is some function behind it. rinsing with DI water will remove any impurities that may have been left behind...these impurities can cause corrosion, worse case like i mentioned would be salt. Again, need to use r/o DI. Finally, using a high percentage alcohol (not the drinking kind) will displace the DI rinse water and allow things to dry quicker. Final step would be to bake at ~140deg to completelydry everything out.

I checked my iwaki pump last night and it does appear that there are several screws holding the main housing together, so you might be able to get in there and clean things out.

there maybe hope for you yet!

good luck

lines_michael
04/20/2007, 09:54 AM
Hope you didn't take offense to that comment. I was alluding to the fact that I was going to need a perceived miracle to get this working.

I am going to take a look today. My realized that my circuit breaker tripped, which is why it was completely dead when I tried to plug it back in. Maybe I will get lucky and it will still work.

THanks for your post. I will see if I can get it open today.

discotu
04/20/2007, 10:54 AM
none taken! just wanted to make sure you understood the principal behind it...

btw, for best results you should wear a bra on your head and have a cold beer in one hand at all times ;)

lines_michael
04/20/2007, 03:01 PM
Well I just plugged it in quickly without doing anything to it. The motor is spinning, so I think it may be salvagable.

I want to make sure it is dry but was afraid to melt the any plastic that is on or in the pump. Will 140 degrees be fine and avoid any issues? HOw about 170? My oven only goes that low.