PDA

View Full Version : Bio Balls

Mirage2521
04/19/2007, 03:08 PM
Reading every night on this addictive forum has led me to believe that the bio balls that my tank came with are not the best solution to a tanks needs....what should my goal be ...a sump full of LR or rubble instead? I have wanted a reef tank for 20 year and was not able to becasue of military career...now I have the chance and want to do it right.

snuggle2me
04/19/2007, 03:12 PM
i too have bioballs but i think its ok in the begining until a good stable bacteria is established. i was told to slowly remove them as to not to upset the system. Just a few at a time during each wc weekly. As long as you have enough lr you should be fine. But if the lr are not in the tank yet (curing outside the tank) maybe you might need the bioballs for filtration until the lr is added?

chrisqueenz
04/19/2007, 03:13 PM
I switched over my bio-balls to LR just because my nitrate readings were to high...

stuccodude
04/19/2007, 03:55 PM
im currently and slowly removing mine and going to put a refugium in there instead, water change after water change and still nitrates, everyones happy in my tank but im not, good luck