PDA

View Full Version : Flighty Feather Dusters!

Mare100
04/19/2007, 07:58 PM
OK....how do you keep these guys in place?

We just got 2 of them. Beautiful guys.....but we can't keep them in one place! We stick them in holes and crevices in our rock....but somehow or another....they keep getting themselves out and all over the place. I'm afraid they're going to get inside the rockwork and get stuck somewhere.

My husband was trying to place on in a crevice...and the thing "sucked" its "feathers" in so quickly and with such force....I swear my husband jumped and let out this huge girly girl scream! LMAO! I hope he doesn't read this....really....it was more of a macho scream.

Any suggestions? Also....do Tangs go after these guys? Our Hawiian Sailfin keeps wanting to nip at one of them. I'm hoping that maybe it was just because we placed him close to where we normally put his nori clip.

M

Reeses
04/19/2007, 08:08 PM
These guys don't move themselves unless they are out of their tubes. They are being picked on. Are their tubes still undamaged/intact?

Mare100
04/19/2007, 08:16 PM
Yes.......their tubes are still intact. We looked them over to make sure there were no bites or anything. Like I said...the only guy we SAW going after one of them was the Tang. But after we moved him away from the nori clip....he didn't seem to bother.

Now, we aren't jamming them into any really tight spots....just laying them in loosely. Could the water current just be "wooshing" them out?

M

reefdiva
04/19/2007, 08:17 PM
Well I see no one has answered your question..so..let me say. Feather Dusters are in fact worms.."Good worms" They will not harm or bother anything in your tank..and it would be unusual for a Tang to hurt or eat your feather dusters..for they are herbivores. Now the issue of them to be floating away..well one reason could be your water flow is to much for them..i.e. it blows them away..second..they like their tubes pretty much covered..with just the tip of the tube showing. In the wild they are deep in the muddy/sandy bottoms. Keep the water movement low to moderate and the same with lighting. Once they are happy with their placement they will attach themselves and there will be no getting them off. "without damage" possible killing them. And don't freak when they blow their tops. You will see the feather crowns float away..but the worm will still be inside and will grown a new crown/small but new after a couple weeks. Anymore questions I will keep my eye open nightly. Good luck and enjoy.

Mare100
04/19/2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks Diva!

Something you said could very well be the problem. When we put them in the crevices in the rock....we left pretty much of their tube sticking out. Like....2 inches at least.

We'll try to find a spot where we can get them farther in. Hubby's arms are much longer than mine....that will be his job! LOL. Do you think we should try to bury their tube down in the sandbed, or would this not be a good idea?

I'm not looking forward to them losing their crown! I'm such a worry wart! I worried when one of them "sucked" back in and wouldn't come out for over an hour!

M

Reeses
04/19/2007, 08:24 PM
I would guess it's possible that the current is doing it. Try "wedging" them in the rocks snugly, but (obviously) don't smoosh them. It's also acceptable to bury them in the sand or under a pile of rubble rock. With time, they will actually attach themselves, making them just about impossible to remove without hurting them.

That's a really funny story about your husband jumping when it went into it's tube. If you don't already know, the radioles have eyespots all over them that allow them to sense danger. A featherduster that can react and powerfully pull back into it's tube is a sign of a healthy one. I would try to get them secure as soon as possible though, because stressing these guy out can lead to them popping their radioles off.

reefdiva
04/19/2007, 08:25 PM
LOL..no need to worry..dusters are sensitive to movement,,and any shawdos..they will do that even when you walk by the tank.. and putting them in the sand is the best bet.

Reeses
04/19/2007, 08:28 PM
wow, reefdiva, you and I are almost verbatim. :lol:

reefdiva
04/19/2007, 08:29 PM
LOL..yeah I noticed

Mare100
04/19/2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys!!

Hubby is out there placing the guys as I type this! So far...no screams! LOL!

M