PDA

View Full Version : electrical shock

Oakie
04/20/2007, 05:46 PM
went to unplug one of the pumps on my Euro Reef and when I grabbed the plug, it felt like I was getting a steady, but light shock. Unplugged it and went to work. Came home plugged it back in and it didn't seem to have the shock, but I could see a little arching just between the small gap between the electrical outlet and the plastic on the plug...........what gives?

I've had another skimmer now in that same outlet with no problems.

corals b 4 bills
04/20/2007, 06:28 PM
Is it grounded? It's gotta be a fray in the wire of that pump.

Oakie
04/20/2007, 07:02 PM
It's a three prong plug, and plugged into a GFI outlet.

Don't see any fraying....could it be frayed at the pump maybe...the part that's in the water?

Roy G. Biv
04/20/2007, 07:59 PM
The little arching you see is when you plug an ON appliance into a socket. The light shock may be coming from water breaking the seal of the pump. If the outlet is GFI it should have popped. If not HD or Loews sells a 6" extension cord with 6 outlets GFI protected. When I'm not sure what is giving me a buzz, I unplug everything then plug one at a time into that strip until one makes it pop. Heaters are more known to cause that buzz than pumps. Pumps are usually 100% encased in plastic, unless it was dropped at one time.

Oakie
04/20/2007, 08:07 PM
The thing with the arching is that it isn't just once. It keeps arching when it's plugged in. Not just when you plug it in or unplug it.

I was surprised it didn't trip the GFI either.

I think I need to be looking for a new pump though.

Icefire
04/21/2007, 09:41 AM
Try to plug it in another outlet.
If it do it again ditch it ASAP.

Arcing will make the plug catch fire

Oakie
04/21/2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks.....long since ditched....did the same thing on another plug, so into the garbage it went and I just finished putting in the new one.

Not worth the chance