PDA

View Full Version : What epoxy to secure encrusted frags?

RobSW1
04/20/2007, 06:16 PM
I have some SPS frags that are encrusted and are almost colonies that ive been keeping on some eggcrate at the bottom of my tank. Lately ive wanted to mount them on the rockwork, but every underwater epoxy ive seen, have had labels that say not to use in a fish tank........so do you guys use this stuff, or is there some special stuff i need to get.

Thanks in advance
rob

AuroraDave
04/20/2007, 06:50 PM
I use the plumbers epoxy from HD. It is water potable and hardens underwater.

RobSW1
04/20/2007, 06:55 PM
i looked at one of those and it says not safe for fish tanks, do they just put that on there so they cant get sued if something does happen.\
also dave, after you epoxy something do you change out carbon or do a small water change?

thnks
rob

Jar*Head
04/20/2007, 07:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9776754#post9776754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobSW1
i looked at one of those and it says not safe for fish tanks, do they just put that on there so they cant get sued if something does happen.\
also dave, after you epoxy something do you change out carbon or do a small water change?

thnks
rob

Call me crazy if you want but i use the Tunze epoxy or the D&D. It is a little pricey but it hold very well. I use the home depot epoxy before but not too impress with it.

Why do you have to do water change or change out the carbon?

RobSW1
04/20/2007, 07:30 PM
i did not know f the epoxy from home depot realeased any toxins, and my system is only about 42 gallons total, so it could be a disaster.

has anyone else used the general epoxy from the hardware store?

thanks
rob

AuroraDave
04/20/2007, 08:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9776754#post9776754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobSW1

thnks
rob
I used to use aquamed since I had the same concerns, but switched to HD's (I think it is called Harvey's Plumbers epoxy) after several others were using it. It doesnt mention fish tanks on the label and has several safety statements including potable, etc.

My skimmer goes crazy after I use it; but when I use it I tend to do a lot of frags at once and probably use 1/2 stick.

I dont use carbon and havent made it a point to do a water change after using it. I have about 400 gallons total so it's more forgiving than yours. It wouldn't hurt.

SDguy
04/20/2007, 10:26 PM
I use Aquamend from HD. Never had a problem with a frag or skimmer. TLF Aquastik burns SPS tissue and causes the skimmer to go crazy, IME.

kenettson1
04/20/2007, 10:30 PM
I use the DD epoxy. Works fine. It does leave some residue in the water column when you work with it. There are instructions that tell you to limit this when using large amounts in a short time period but for mounting a few frags I don't thinks it's an issue.

AuroraDave
04/21/2007, 11:46 AM
This thread got me curious so I read the label on the Harvey's Plumbing Epoxy that I buy @ HD.

It even says for use with fish tanks and underwater to fix leaks in drain lines and swimming pools. Safe for lines carrying potable water.

wentreefgirl
04/21/2007, 12:10 PM
The one from hd you want to use is aqua mend. Its blue and grey. When you mix its grey. I dont remember it saying do not use in aquarium. I have used it to extend a frag spot to my live rock . If i have a pic ill post. The only thing you want to watch out for is it makes your skimmer go nuts for like an hour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/wentreefgirl/DSCN18770001.jpg
My superman porites is growing in it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/wentreefgirl/Tank%20pics/DSCN18890001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/wentreefgirl/Tank%20pics/DSCN1529.jpg

What i do is shape it and then when your ready to glue to something, dont just stick it to the rock, use superglue on the bottom of it and then stick it. Then its real sturdy.