PDA

View Full Version : I'm in need of some help on equipment selection

CSMReef
04/20/2007, 06:31 PM
<b>Backround</b>
I'll be setting up a 120g here in the near future and I would like some suggestions on a calcium reactor and a skimmer. The overall volume of the system will be around 200-210g in total.

<b>Stocking</b>
I'm wanting to keep a good amount of sps in this tank. Along with these corals will be a decent amount of fish but not too heavily stocked.

<b>Other info</b>
I'm looking for something that is complete, nothing that needs to be "modified". Budget isn't too much of a concern. I'm currently looking into a Deltec APF600 for the skimmer but I'd like some more opinions. As for a calcium reactor, I don't have anything in mind as of yet. Size is not a factor and they can go either inside or outside of the sump.

If you can, please help and share your experience with great performing skimmers and calcium reactors. Also if you have any opinions on what media and whether or not to drip kalk please inform me! Thank you!

CSMReef

USC-fan
04/20/2007, 06:57 PM
I would go with a h&S A150-F2001 or das ex-2 skimmer instead of the deltec APF600. All of them have the same basic design and use the same pumps.

CSMReef
04/20/2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the response Kb-smoker.

I've heard a bit about the H&S skimmer, but the majority of the people who own them and the deltec as well say the deltec out performs and the setup is easier.

Can you go more in depth about why these skimmers over the deltec?

Thanks again!
CSMReef

USC-fan
04/20/2007, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure how or why the performance/setup would be better for the deltec. If you are going just for performance/cost the das ex-2 is the better buy,

They all use the same design and setup. They all seem to be the same skimmer just with different names.

CSMReef
04/20/2007, 07:40 PM
Kb,

Thanks again for the info. I'll check them out and hopefully get more responses to this topic.

Anyone else have an opinion on skimmer and calcium reactor selection? Please chime in with your experiences!

CSMReef

CSMReef
04/21/2007, 12:09 PM
Still seeking out more opinions on a calcium reactor and skimmer for this setup.

CSMReef

skwirl
04/21/2007, 03:56 PM
you cant really go wrong with the deltec, but i also agree with kb.. those das skimmers are great, and you would spend $200 more on the apf600 than if you bought an ex3 ($629) and the ex3 would kill an apf600.