PDA

View Full Version : Dow Flake & Mag Flake Substitutes?

tcollins
04/21/2007, 05:30 AM
I've been looking through all of Randy's threads for substitutes for the Dow Flake and Mag Flake for his two part system. I thought I had read that there is a pool product that can substitute for the Dow Flake. While I know Epson salts can be used as part of the Magnesium solution, you don't want to to it alone as it add's sodium ion's out of balance. Is there anything else you can use?

jdieck
04/21/2007, 08:20 AM
Cheap products that might be suitable to replace Dow Flake will be Peladow. Aquarium product substitutes will be TurboCalcium, ESV Calcium Chloride and similar. Other substitutes will be Food Grade Calcium Chloride.
For Mag Flake there is no cheap substitute, You can use commercial additives like Kent Tech-M or potentially soure some lab grade (reagent) Magnesium Chloride dehydrate.

returnofsid
04/21/2007, 12:34 PM
Dry-Z-Air is a good substitute for Dow Pellets. It's the stuff you find in the RV department of your local Walmart or hardware store. It's used to dry air in RVs.

drummereef
04/21/2007, 06:35 PM
I use Prestone Driveway Heat for my calcium part. All the home stores carry it, I've even seen it at Walgreens and Walmart in the winter. Remember it is an Anhydrous CaC12 so you must adjust the recipe accordingly. ;)

FLReefGirl
04/21/2007, 06:52 PM
I live in FL and I can't get driveway salt. No Dow Flakes, they've never heard of it.
What else could you suggest?

jdieck
04/21/2007, 10:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9782603#post9782603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FLReefGirl
I live in FL and I can't get driveway salt. No Dow Flakes, they've never heard of it.
What else could you suggest?
Buy it on line and have it shipped or get TurboCalcium or any other of the commercial Calcium Chlorides. Some swiming pool places (Out of which there got to be many in Florida carry Calcium Chloride, unfortunately I know of no brand that has been tested suitable.

mattboy
04/22/2007, 08:32 AM
Having looked at turbo calcium and a pool product called "Dupont calcium hardness increaser" I can tell you that they really look the same. The dupont stuff is 96% CaCl. We need to find a Kent employee that's willing to tell where they get the stuff. I live in the south too and the only way I got dowflake was a group order with my aquarium club.

I wouldn't use the dupont stuff, though, until it's been tested for impurities.

rick s
04/22/2007, 05:05 PM
See if you have a TruGreen-Chemlawn lawn service near you. I found Magflake at the one near me.

Also, call some of your local Concrete Supplies companies. I found Dowflake there.

tcollins
04/23/2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I finally goggled a chemical wholesaler who gave me a local distributor today for both products. Pick them up Saturday.