PDA

View Full Version : mantis shrimp

john sarfas
04/21/2007, 11:46 AM
Well now I have a mantis shrimp in my 150 gal tank ? what do I do about about this. need some info on what to do please.

tangyreefer05
04/21/2007, 01:29 PM
ouch, there are some threads on here for catching them i believe, you can try one of those traps they sell online. Did he hitchhike on your liverock? what size is he?

Pea-brain
04/21/2007, 03:45 PM
Lemme guess, TBS liverock? congrats you got an N. wennerae. If that is the case it won't get larger than 3 inces. If you catch it alive you can keep it in a spare ten gallon. They make great pets. Or IMHO (and I know people are going to argue about this with me) mantis shrimp aren't that bad in a reef. Just target feed it some frozen foods every other day and it will lay off your snails and hermits, and will most likely leave any non-bottom dwelling fish alone. By the time you find a mantis shrimp in your tank it most likely is starving which is why it kills fish. Your average smasher would much prefer snails and hermits, and a well fed smasher *shouldn't* chase fish. But, sometimes you just a mean one, and it has to be removed. You wouldn't believe the unique number of personalities a species of mantises can have. At the very least target feeding it will make it come out and trust you allow you to catch it if your quick.