PDA

View Full Version : A Poll - Off Topic Post

MUCHO REEF
04/22/2007, 05:57 AM
I'm going to post several polls this week, I would greatly appreciate your valuable input as the New Zoanthid Forum emerges. Also, do you feel the moderators should delete said off topic post to keep the threads fluid an on track?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mucho Reef

MUCHO REEF
04/22/2007, 07:37 AM
Feel free to explain why you do or don't agree?

Thanks.

edwing206
04/22/2007, 08:47 AM
It depends on what the thread is about and what the off topic post was.
I remember reading a thread that someone was showing off their new corals and out of no where someone says, " My water is green and I don't know how to fix it". That pretty much ruined it.

reef fanatic
04/22/2007, 09:32 AM
I agree with edwing. Rather than a moderator just closing a thread , I think it should be up to the thread originator to say if they want it left on their thread. Basically if a thread originator does not PM the mods to delete it from his thread , they allow it .
Just my .02 Scott

MUCHO REEF
04/22/2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the response.

A mod wouldn't close the thread for being off topic. The reason for the poll is because many are bothered by the threads straying way off the topic. Sometimes for a complete page. For example, if the discussion is about preventing Cyano, and the thread is going strong with 12 replies, then you have 8 replies in a row commenting on a fish or coral in the background of the picture regarding the cyano. Many are bothered by that. I have heard from reefers who say that once the topic goes a stray, they stop reading. So if that happens, then what should be done? The thread originator gets upset, members are bothered, so what should be done? Should the mods delete the off topic replies, as is the case on some other sites? What's the remedy?

Mucho

lfduty
04/24/2007, 12:11 AM
Feel free to explain why you do or don't agree with..

ecotoxlady
04/27/2007, 07:47 AM
I said yes but it really does depend on how off topic it becomes and for how long. If it is just a momentary diversion or the other topic is also of interest to me then I am not at all bothered by it but if it is a topic I am not personally interested in and it goes on for a couple pages, then I will lose interest.

KathyC
04/27/2007, 08:36 AM
I'm always interested in learning. When I choose a particular thread to read, I'm already interested in the topic and will read it through to the end, if there is info in there about another topic, I take that for what it's worth and continue reading. If it stays off topic for a page or two, then it is also something usually interesting that a number of people have chosen to respond to.
As long as it's about reefing ...it's all good!

sir_dudeguy
04/27/2007, 08:50 AM
As long as it's about reefing ...it's all good!

ya i agree. And i see a lot of people just running up their post count (i'm one to talk lol...but no really) where they just say something like "hey, whats up "insert name" " and thats it....they make no comments about the topic and dont say anything else the rest of the thread to contribute to it.

RevHtree
04/27/2007, 10:09 AM
I said no because some off topic chat is good for the community. Now I am not talking about getting out of hand, but a few post here and there helps people to get to know one another and feel out the board.

JMHO.

ct_vol
04/29/2007, 09:52 AM
I think if a thread stays active long enough, its bound to go off topic... Its up to the originator or whoever else to keep it on the track that they want it to go...

jpenwell
04/29/2007, 05:08 PM
i think that if it goes off topic then let the mods know and just have them copy&paste it into another thread. that way there are more subects to research if a reefer has a question. for example a thread is going good then a post it about water being green, start a new thread with the subect green water.

ereefer
05/02/2007, 11:33 PM
I think as a humble poster, If I post a Q about something in my tank and people want to ask about what is in my tank that has nothing about question in mind, I wouldn't want to hear it. PM me for that.........

ereefer
05/02/2007, 11:33 PM
I think as a humble poster, If I post a Q about something in my tank and people want to ask about what is in my tank that has nothing about question in mind, I wouldn't want to hear it. PM me for that.........

MUCHO REEF
05/05/2007, 10:33 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone who voted and posted in this poll/thread.

Mooch