PDA

View Full Version : Algae ridden SPS tank, GFO help

_K_E_P_
04/22/2007, 06:04 AM
After my tank move I have got a fair bit of hair algae growing due to high phosphates.

I have just installed a phosphate reactor but am unsure how to go about getting the phosphates down without getting RTN on my SPS.

Once the phosphate levels drop, the algae will die off leaving more phosphate and nitrate in the tank??

Is the best option to wait for the algae to start dying then remove it manually?

How much rowaphos and how often should I add more rowaphos on a 135G tank to remove the phosphate but avoid RTN?

Thanks
KP

krueger
04/22/2007, 07:22 AM
I am going through the same thing right now. What I am doing is I went to the LFS and got a bunch of Mexican turbo snails and margarita snails. They are doing a number on the hair algee. I then put about an inch of rowa in my reactor to remove phsphates. I think the key is what ever you are going to do, do it slowly. Rapid changes in an SPS tank is IMO what causes alot of STN/RTN problems.

Mike

wentreefgirl
04/22/2007, 07:47 AM
My phosphates were high after a tank move when i went to the 90 rr a couple of years ago. I started out with a bang. DIdnt know about doing it slowly. Used the recommended phos band and when i started it i put the spout into a bucket until run clear. Then let it ride. I didnt get any rtn. My colors started to pop and the hair algae turns to a pale brown fuzz you just blow off the rocks with a baster. Into the water colum and out into the sump sock. I personally think the rtn didnt come from a huge drop and perhaps the phosban not being bled to a bucket and let get into the tank but again i never had any and i used it full force.

Before phosban.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/wentreefgirl/Tank%20pics/Picture1895126567.jpg
After
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/wentreefgirl/Tank%20pics/DSCN1535.jpg
And now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/wentreefgirl/Tank%20pics/DSCN1554.jpg

delv
04/22/2007, 01:32 PM
If it were my tank (mine has zero microalgae...) I would increase the flow (streams, maxi mods, penductors, etc.).
Blow out all the rock work with said flow (I like to take an extra Stream I have and ocassionally get behind all of the rocks).
Make sure you can collect that detritous (my sump is big and allows for particulate to collect...filter bags for a day would work ok too.
Do a healthy water change (w/ro-di).
Put in some carbon (for a couple days if you don't usually runs it).
Put in some phosphate remover (FE based). Put a small amount (rinsed) change it once a week or two.
Get some more snails.
Manually remove what you can and stay on top of detritous/particulate waste (skimmer helps).

Make sure you have a decent skimmer that is tuned.

Feed less for a bit.

That's it really.

_K_E_P_
04/22/2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the input. Great info.

Going to follow you recommendations, hopefully i'll be nutrient free in a couple of months :D

Dwarf Seahorses
04/23/2007, 12:08 AM
It may not be a permanent fix but the Reef Janitors from Garf do an incredible job on hair algae, actually any and all algae.

Serioussnaps
04/23/2007, 10:11 AM
When you use the GFO....monitor PH and ALK. These will drop in the first 48 hours. I would check twice a day for the first two days and once a day for the next two. Adjust the alkalinity back up or do something to mitigate the drop(i dont know what methods you use for CA/ALK supplementation), but this is what causes RTN is letting the alk and ph plummet with the GFO.

Other concerns are removing so much phosphate that a huge growth spurt occurs causeing a precipitation/snowstorm. This is rare and mainly theoretical...it would take huge amounts of large colonies to cause this.