PDA

View Full Version : Purple Pseudo -- yay or nay?

joshola
04/22/2007, 08:26 AM
Hey all,

I'm finally about ready to put a few fish in my month-old tank (37gal "column"-- 20x18x24), and I've got a few ideas, but the one fish that I've wanted since I first set out is a Purple Pseudochromis -- I like attitude and they look like they have plenty. I heard they attack shrimp and things smaller than themselves. I can live with that. What else should I consider in keeping one of these? For instance, what other fish can I get? Should I plan on introducing the Pseudo last?

My initial thought is a Psuedo, two Clowns, a Sixline Wrasse, and possibly some type of Blenny or goby. Any thoughts?

Reefmack
04/22/2007, 10:28 AM
I've been wondering about the same thing you're asking. From what I understand is in this size tank only one pseudochromis as 2 or more won't tolerate each other, but I'm also wondering if one will only be territorial or if it will be attacking any other species or inverts?

Deprecated
04/22/2007, 10:54 AM
My Pseudo was more aggressive than the clowns or tang I had. It never bothered my cleaner shrimp though, in fact he would often let the shrimp comb over him. I would add him last in a tank that size, certainly after anything that is smaller than him.

Overall, he was one of my favorite fish.

leshampton
04/22/2007, 01:44 PM
My pseudo is pretty much only aggressive towards my damsels. He does very seldom chase my six-line across the tank. He gets along very well with my clowns, goby, and leaves my cleaner shrimp alone. I added the clowns, sixline, and goby after him. I like him though, he is very active and very bright!

joshola
04/22/2007, 02:03 PM
Leshampton, sounds like you have the same stocking ideas as me -- albeit with a larger tank. I'll probably take the advice above and add the Purple last, since my tank is small. Its good to hear that they're good with other non-agressive fish, and I guess a cleaner shrimp is big enough to hold its own.

Is one week long generally long enough after the cleanup crew to add a first fish?

Deprecated
04/22/2007, 02:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9787005#post9787005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joshola
Is one week long generally long enough after the cleanup crew to add a first fish?

It's hard to say time wise. I would say yes in a lot of cases but that also depends on the size of clean-up crew you added, how far out of cycling you are, etc. Only you and your tank can figure that out, check your levels and follow how the tank reacts to added bio load.

kurtg
04/22/2007, 02:18 PM
They certainly do have a lot of attitude. My kids named mine "pow-pow" because he would wait in ambush and then dart out and "pow". Although, he seems to have settle down after I added a 7" tang and a coral beauty to the tank.

I think your selection would be fine. My pseudo loves lots of caves and swim throughs. He found a crack about 1/2" wide that he turned into his liar and a place to launch attacks.

UrbanSage
04/22/2007, 02:27 PM
I have had a number of them in my reef. They do seem a bit agressive towards the yellowtail damsel but it has never caused any damage.

leshampton
04/22/2007, 06:20 PM
If your stocking your cleanup crew slowly, a week should be fine. Keep check on your water, as long as amm. and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates are low. a fish should be fine. I know its hard but stock slowly! :)

Ronny#66
04/22/2007, 07:46 PM
I had pink Pseudo with a Skunk Clown and two Blue Green Chromis and they all got along till the purple jumped out of tank and I bought 4 new Chromis Clown didn't like them and they came up missing.

Joe LoPresti
04/22/2007, 08:47 PM
Well, my pseudo got a $20 snack the other day. I bought a small pistol shrimp (not knowing that pseudos like shrimp) and within 10 minutes of adding the little shrimp to the tank, the pseudo had killed and eaten him. I was soooooo bummed.
Other than that, he doesn't seem to mess with the other fish, I have a large Maroon clown, a purple Tang and a six-line wrasse. I would not put anything smaller than him in the tank though, I can't afford another $20 dinner....

r0bin
04/23/2007, 06:36 AM
With your specific fish list you should add the purple psuedo last. Take my word for it.

joshola
04/23/2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks all. As hard as it's gonna be, my Pseudo will come last. Who do you think should come first, the clowns or the six-lined wrasse?