PDA

View Full Version : White Film in sump

Chago09
04/22/2007, 12:54 PM
ok I don't understand I just noticed that my sump has like a thin layer of white bubles and film. My sump is a 55 gallon set up as follows.

The water comes down from two pipes into the first compartment. In the first compartment awaits the protein skimmer which is Hanging on the side of the sump tank. Then the water flows over the partition and has to go under the next partition. I put that second one in to stop microbubles. After that second partition the rest of the tank is just filled with water. The 1000gph pump is submersible and is at the far end of the tank. the white film is in the large water holding area. Is there something that needs to be in there to prevent this film?????

Agu
04/22/2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a protein slick. Just shows that the surface skimmers in your tank are doing there job but the protein skimmer isn't catching it before it gets to the last chamber. Just scoop it out with a cup next time you do a water change.

reefshadow
04/22/2007, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a protein slick. Just shows that the surface skimmers in your tank are doing there job but the protein skimmer isn't catching it before it gets to the last chamber.

Yeah, sounds like that. Also, if you drip kalk or add ca/alk supplements to your sump they could be sticking to the protein layer, causing more of a white colour.