PDA

View Full Version : Chillers

Waterobert
04/22/2007, 01:02 PM
I am new to the hobby, so I need good advice on chillers. I am about to buy Tower 1/4 HP chiller from Prime Current. My second choice is 1/5 HP from Arctica Titanium. Both of the manufactures say that their product is energy efficient, quiet, state of the art. I wonder what you guys think about those two choises. I don't want to add any more noise into my living room than I have to. My tank is 90 galon and I have two 250 w MH.
Thank you for your help!

Robert.

NightShade00013
04/22/2007, 01:07 PM
You may not need a chiller. A number of people just open the top of the tank up and run some fans over the water to cool it. The upside of this is that it is much less expensive than running a chiller and you will also increase the O2 level in the tank, and therefore decrease the Co2 in the tank rasing the ph up.

Waterobert
04/22/2007, 01:13 PM
Thank you for your reply. That is what I am doing right now. The problem I have is the 3 deg. temprature jump during the day when the lights are on. I want to keep temp. more stable, and I am hoping that this will benefit my corals and fish.

NightShade00013
04/22/2007, 02:03 PM
A 90 gallon tank shouldn't require much as far a sa chiller goes then. The debate is that a smaller chiller uses less energy because it is dawing less power while in use. Though a bit larger chiller should have to run less often because it can chill the water more efficently thereby running less often and using less power. I have no idea about either chiller but someone else will hopefully have some input.