PDA

View Full Version : clown tang info???

kevin1234
04/22/2007, 06:52 PM
hi everybody I am looking for info on clown tangs any little info will be appreciated.

also I have a question for clown tang owners, with what did you get your clown tang feeding? and what does it eat now? and what do you give him?

tks

bvanhoveln
04/23/2007, 12:19 PM
I recently added a clown tang to my very low stocked tank, with the thought that when he gets too big I will give him to a friend with a 500 gallon reef.

He did not eat anything for 2-3 days - however I just kept putting clips of nori and other reef algae in the tank figuring he would eat when he was comfortable and hungry. Now that he started, he eats like a complete pig. I currently feed my tank Formula 1 flake, Formula 2 flake, brine shrimp flake, mysis frozen and some mixture frozen food - he eats it all. In fact when I move the cover from my hood he swims near the top waiting to be fed. He will follow my hand around above the water and as soon I put my finger in he bites at it. I still clip some nori in about 2-3 times per week so that he has something to pick at after the food is gone.

I only have a saddleback clown, yellow headed goby, and pajama cardinalfish in my tank so he is obviously the main attraction. I didn't think it would be a big deal to grow him large for my friend (he is currently about 3.5 inches) and then give him up, but with his personality it will be more difficult than expected.

If you have the room, I would definitely recommend this tang - by the way he has been completely disease free for his 1.5 month stay.

twon8
04/23/2007, 01:15 PM
very few people have success with clown tangs long term, they are very sensitive fish that will harass any other inhabitants and rule the tank

LargeAngels
04/23/2007, 01:23 PM
They have a poor survival record. If they do thrive they may end up being one of the meanest fish around. Had to take mine back to the LFS cause he was tearing up every single fish. Half my wrasses had half their tails chewed up. He ate anything. They also need a very large tank.

jda
04/23/2007, 01:51 PM
I had one in college go from 2" to about 7" in less than a year. One day it decided to try and kill a queen trigger bigger than it was and a golden puffer. It would have succeeded if I did not catch it. I had no idea it was so mean, but this was before the internet and most good publicactions. It ended up going into a 350G ugly plywood tank all by its self since it would not allow any tankmates.

bvanhoveln
04/23/2007, 01:54 PM
How long did it take before the clown tang was bothering other fish?

I have had no trouble with missing fins etc., even my pajama cardinals who don't move around much have zero fin bites or problems. He has been in the tank for about 6 weeks.

Creetin
04/23/2007, 02:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9793645#post9793645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
very few people have success with clown tangs long term, they are very sensitive fish that will harass any other inhabitants and rule the tank
I agree and if they don't rule the tank they will stress and die. JMO
Not as hearty as the sohals, But a beautiful fish.

kevin1234
04/23/2007, 02:53 PM
I am asking all these questions because my dad just bought one for my new 180g fowlr tank but since the tank isn't ready I had to put it in my 265g reef tank so I wanted to knoe if it could possibly live with my current population and instead of putting him in the fowlr leave him in the reef + my palani tang is huge and it would take awile before the clown tang can even compete with him btw the clown tang is about 10cm and the palani 35cm.