PDA

View Full Version : new tank setup

tranamosity
04/22/2007, 07:31 PM
Hi all,

i am setting up a mantis tank and will be ordering a peacock from my lfs soon...

i have a 30g tank with a external fluval 305 filter..do i really need live rock or can i get away without it?
i will be putting lots other rocks for him to hide in and gravel substrate for him to burrow..

i have read that these are very hardy little critters, and that is why im wondering if i needlive rock or not...

look frward to reading your advise and tips as im a noob in the mantis game

jer77
04/22/2007, 08:33 PM
Yes you should still add LR to add beneficial bacteria and to help cycle your tank. You don't need to add all LR, you can just add about 10 lbs. or less and let it seed the rest. Its good to always get a little atleast because it adds so much good life to your tank.

dorkfish3
04/22/2007, 09:05 PM
I agree, I had a mantis in a 20 gallon and make sure you do keep a deep sandbed for him to burrow. I would definetly throw a little liverock in there to get some life going, 10-15lbs would work Im sure. anyway peacocks are awesome and very interesting to watch, just dont put your tank near your bed or you'll here a snapping noise all night, hah. anyway good luck