PDA

View Full Version : funky water with my live rocks

rusty-nail-z
04/22/2007, 07:48 PM
Hey everybody, this is my first post, wanted to say hi b4 gettin to business...
I recently started setting up my 55g saltwater tankk. Ive got 2 powerheads, 2 heaters and a hang on filter with carbon media running. I also ahve a live sand/ sand substrate.

Recently i added about 55 pounds of live rock to my aquarium. Its been a couple days and the smell is pretty bad, and the water is now yellow, slightly green. Also, one or two of my live rocks has alot of green stuff that looks like algae?

Im wondering if this is a normal part of the curing process, if not, what should i do to fix my water and/ or live rocks.

eidillitih
04/22/2007, 08:17 PM
yeap, thats all part of the curing process. Need to get a skimmer, if you can't right away do large water change weekly to get rid of the excess nutrients/die off.

Oh yea, Welcome to Reefcentral

Hormigaquatica
04/22/2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah, thats one of the joys of curing your own rock- the tank turns colors, and makes the room/house smell real funky for a couple weeks. Best thing you can do is get a good quality skimmer on there, and do water changes very frequently. Throwing in a few more powerheads to boost your circulation will also help speed things up a bit. That much rock in that size tank may take several weeks to a month to really cure well.

rusty-nail-z
04/22/2007, 08:45 PM
Thanx for the help guys!