PDA

View Full Version : Can a 6045 be used on a wave maker type device?

Spiffyguy
04/23/2007, 02:34 PM
I am thinking about getting a 6025 to pair up with my existing 6045. But I would like to be able to alternate them to get better coverage. Would this be possible? or wold I have to buy two 6055? My one 6045 is almost too strong and does not give me good flow around the tank. Seems very directional. It is wider than a regular powerhead but not enough to just do the whole tank with it.

Thanks

smatter
04/23/2007, 03:03 PM
Only if you set it to switch the pumps at intervals no less than 15 minutes. Shorter intervals will wear the pump out quickly. Get on the wait list for a 6055, but don't expect to get it until summer. I have been on the list for many months.

Spiffyguy
04/23/2007, 03:08 PM
I think another 6045 or 6055 would be too much flow for my tank. But a 6025 would probably be ok. I like the small size. Even having the 6025 come one once every 20 minutes for like 10 minutes I think may be cool. Or alternate them every 30 minutes. What type of controller or wave maker would be best for this application?

rvitko
04/23/2007, 03:16 PM
I would just use a timer, the Coralife timer outlet would be my suggestion.

flat broke
04/23/2007, 03:45 PM
So is 15 minutes in the on or off state the minimum time that Tunze feels won't compromise the integrity of the powerhead? I want to run some 6045s and maybe a 6025 on my ACjr and want to make sure I can alternate the current in some fashion without compromising the longevity that Tunze products are known for.

Thanks,
Chris

Spiffyguy
04/23/2007, 03:52 PM
Roger thanks for the info. I am also curious if the 15 minute time limit is the rule. So far the stream is great, but I think i need another lol.

jefathome
04/23/2007, 03:56 PM
I was told it had to run for 7.5min once it starts, maybe this is the 15min cycle they are talking about.

Also, if your 45 is too much, and too directional,do one of the many mods out there.
I did the wide stream, high flow mod on my 25 and it is great.
(Cut the inside part of the output tube (higher flow) and the outside part as well (Wider flow)

the Tunze nano's can be modded to do almost anything you want.

Spiffyguy
04/23/2007, 04:11 PM
I thought about doing the wide mod. That may help out. I would order a new cap first though lol. The 6045 is in the back right corner of my tank and the front right corner has a bit of a dead spot. I think another stream from the left back corner should take care of the problem. Alternating would be killer too.

marc price
04/23/2007, 11:28 PM
good luck with that . please give us a follow up a year or two from now . imo (i'm sure i'll get blasted for this), and despite what rodger or tunze is telling you i really don't see a diff between them or any other power head in that these little magnetic drive motors are designed for continuous uninterrupted use . knowing that i still tried the hagen 201 and 401 power heads set on a 1/2 hour interval on/off timer , they began to go about a year latter . cost much less than nanos so no big deal . if it were me i'd go with the '55 and the controller on a lower setting . i personally don't like the nanos s. steel drive shaft with it's one attachment point .
rodger , do the streams have a s.s. or ceramic drive shaft and how many attachment points ? also does the front and back housing have a threaded connection or do they snap together ? from what i can see in photos they look to be a sturdier design than the nanos . when will the next generation stream's hit the shelves and can you give an overview of the new products ? thanks

rvitko
04/24/2007, 09:20 AM
The pumps can only live through so many on and off cycles, turning them off and on every 15 minutes gives the pump a life of about 5 years in theory but that is basically just by calculating out the wear from on and off tests. Realistically they will probably last about 3 used this way. It is the minimum, ideally they would be run continuously. I would try to stick to as long a run time as possible.

The full size streams have no shaft at all, it is a shaft less design with no metal or ceramic parts, it is all plastic and a magnet. The covers twist on and are secured by two tabs.