PDA

View Full Version : live sand

FernanQ
04/23/2007, 03:40 PM
Any one know where one can get some live sand generally? I'm setting up a 55 gal tank, and I'm new to saltwater tanks. Is it important that I get live sand? or just live rock?

cinematek
04/23/2007, 03:51 PM
The term "Live Sand" basically refers to sand that has active anaerobic bacteria living in it that helps to filter your water. You can buy bags of "live sand" at your lfs for about $40, but you can also just get plain old sand and seed it with a scoop of sand from an established tank (like from your lfs). By the time your cycle is done your sand will be "live".

But... be careful about what sand you use. I have read that certain kinds of sand have certain chemicals that you will want to avoid. My tank is only a 25G, so I bought one big bag of Fiji Pink live sand. If you are building a bigger tank, you might want to look into getting the appropriate kind of play/construction sand, because it will surely be cheaper.

jasontg99
04/23/2007, 03:51 PM
Depends on your application. Some reef keepers swear by bare bottom, some swear by LS. Go with what you want. I would suggest posting your location...maybe someone near you can give you a LFS that has good sand.

alexb518
04/23/2007, 03:54 PM
eventually, it all becomes "live". if you're looking for a DSB, go with a 4-6"aragonite substrate. you can always go barebottom too. best place to get it is at your LFS. and not the stuff in the bag, but if they have a tank full of live sand, get that stuff. or, you can buy from someone who is breaking down their tank. if you have no other choice (as someone on here just posted) get it out of the bag.

FernanQ
04/23/2007, 05:33 PM
thanks for the help, I guess I'll call up some stores and ask if they sell some.