PDA

View Full Version : Help! 187g or 240g - why?

greghigham
04/23/2007, 09:59 PM
Been doing LOTs of research and getting ready to have a custom acrylic tank made. This will be central component of large wall unit (bookshelves on either side) rather than stand/canopy approach. I am debating whether to go with 60x24x30 (187 gallons) vs. 72x24x32 (240 gallons). I have read repeatedly that bigger is better, but does it still make a noticeable difference when you get up to tanks of these sizes? Cost is not the primary concern, but this jump will add substantially to equipment and ongoing care & feeding.
What say ye - and why?
TIA,
G

hatfielj
04/23/2007, 10:25 PM
IMO, If you want to go bigger it is better to go wider rather than taller. In other words instead of 72X 24 X 32 you should do, 72 X 30 or 36 X 30. Its difficult to adequately light tanks taller than 30 inches and also more difficult to clean. Bottom line: Go as long and as wide as you can fit and don't go over 30 inches tall. Again this is just my opinion.

Mr. Brooks
04/24/2007, 01:13 AM
I just bought a 225 acrylic. It's 30 inches tall and I'll admit, I'm concerned about cleaning the bottom. The sand bed will be around 4 inches so that leaves 26 inches to clean.
I was in a similar situation, continue to add on to my 135 (could work, but was not planned out from the begining and so would not be ideal or look very clean), or start fresh with a much bigger tank and grow into it. I decided that I'd rather have the room to expand my reef in the future. I think I'll have a much better chance of success by going this route. I will start with a large water column and small reef and just upgrade as necessary while following a well thought out plan. But you're right, I think after a certain point you don't really need to worry about size being a factor in water stability. Sure, the bigger the better. But if you're smart about stocking and feeding, and have excellent filtration, a tank of 100-150 gallons is more than enough. You'll just have to limit yourself to a certain amount of livestock. Bigger tank means more livestock... and much much more $$$$$$$

am3gross
04/24/2007, 07:27 AM
i agree about not going deeper then 30 inches. i have the 215 that is 30 high. plus if you add that it is going inwall like mine is then it makes it harder to get in to it. i would not change a thing about mine though. 72x24x30

greghigham
04/24/2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sincerely appreciated.
G