PDA

View Full Version : purple tip magnifica anenome help please

dragonwoman
04/24/2007, 03:21 AM
Hi Can anyone help i have a sick anenome. It was doing ok but now seems to look very sad. It seems to have shrunk up and the 2 saddle back clowns wont go in it any more . It had a small bit of prawn to eat but doesnt seem to keen. I had to do a water change as the hydrometer i was using wasnt working right, the tank had to much salt . It is ok now and all the corals look good . I didnt know about the high salt untill last night when i noticed the anenome moving around. I knew there was a water problem then as it has been in its spot for a while. Everything else is ok.Does anyone know what is the problem as i rang the place i got it from and they said to just keep up the food and it should be ok. Im not so sure as im worried it is dying. PLEASE HELP. THANKS.

handapanda
04/24/2007, 08:01 AM
What was the salinity at when you noticed it was high? What are your other params?

elegance coral
04/24/2007, 05:12 PM
I have bad news. In my opinion this is the hardest anemone to keep happy for any amount of time. They require perfect water quality, very bright light, and random high volume water flow. This is not the typical environment for the comunity reef tank. This anemone should be kept in a species tank. It is a shame that someone at your LFS would tell you something like that. I'm sorry, but thats just my 2 cents.

dragonwoman
04/24/2007, 08:25 PM
It is looking good now and i just found out the LFS sold me the wrong lights. It is open and full and the purple tips are nice in colour. If i turn the lights on it shrivels and if i keep the lights off its seems fine. Im replacing the lights today so i hope it cont to get better. The salinity was very high at 1.030, now at 1.022. New hydrometer today as well. All other params are good. These anenomes are very available all over Sydney and 3 of us got them the same day, 2 are doing great but didnt have my light or water problems. I also have a friend who has had his for close to 4yrs and it is beautiful. I hope it will be ok as i will make sure i do all i can for its happy, healthy survival. Thanks again for the help and will keep you posted.

Faviaphile
04/24/2007, 08:32 PM
Agree with elegance- these anems require a lot of precision for them to really thrive, if even live. IMO they really belong on the reef- even a species tank is a sad place for these over harvested and under cared for anems- in most cases. If you don't have one already I would invest in a good test kit and check diligently- constant water changes are so important for these guys! What wattage have you got going on?
How long have you had it and how large is it?
Hope it's doing better. Post a pic if you've got one- that may help RCers see what's up.

dragonwoman
04/24/2007, 08:55 PM
I test NOW 2 times a week(was 1) and and water change weekly . As of today the lights will be a Aqualena with moon light and a double refl with 2 aci tubes. I agree to much has come off the reef and new laws are going in to stop alot from being taken. 1 example the manderines will now be put on the en/ sp/ list and will no longer be avail. Will try to post pic soon as camera is not working.(need new 1) Hade it only 2mths and is about 7in . Have to go get the new lights ect and its ANZAC DAY so going to go play 2up . Keep you posted Thanks ........

posspie
04/25/2007, 05:10 AM
dragon , i dont believe u have these lights as yet. cause if you did you would not be haveing these problems. LIER. You cant post a pic cause you have no digital camera. LIER, and this crap about you knowing about the manderines where are your sources coming from. Tell me DRAGON what system are you running please stop trying to act like you know it all, when it is ovious you dont

55semireef
04/25/2007, 05:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9805830#post9805830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragonwoman
I test NOW 2 times a week(was 1) and and water change weekly . As of today the lights will be a Aqualena with moon light and a double refl with 2 aci tubes. I agree to much has come off the reef and new laws are going in to stop alot from being taken. 1 example the manderines will now be put on the en/ sp/ list and will no longer be avail. Will try to post pic soon as camera is not working.(need new 1) Hade it only 2mths and is about 7in . Have to go get the new lights ect and its ANZAC DAY so going to go play 2up . Keep you posted Thanks ........

What kind of lighting are you running? Metal Halides, T5s, PCS or VHOs? The amount of wattage being used is a poor rule of thumb to determine if the amount of lighting is acceptable.

Heteractis Magnifica is imo the second hardest anemone to keep alive. Only a few really have success with these anemones and those who do are very experienced reefers who have done their research before hand. In your case, you don't know much about the species and for what its worth, a hydrometer is a very inaccuate way of measuring salinity. Best to get a refractometer instead. From what you have said, it seems like your H. Mag is dying and with my guess it probably will die.

55semireef
04/25/2007, 05:25 PM
Oh, by the way, if you were to make this thread in the clownfish and anemones forum you would get a lot more helpful responces instead of those that call you out as a liar.

elegance coral
04/25/2007, 07:17 PM
55semireef, if HM is the second hardest to keep who is #1?

dragonwoman
04/25/2007, 07:32 PM
OK POSSPIE WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you could read i said i had the wrong lights on the tank and i was getting the new AQUALINA yesterday. As for the camera like i said its STUFFED! i need a new one . so dont worry as soon as i find one you will get your pic!. In regards to the manderines i work in the industry and a leading sydney marine wholesaler told me that last week. And where do i make out i know every thing this is the first salt tank i have had and im only learning . the only thing i have said that was wrong was the anenome was 7in, MY MISTAKE! as it is 7cm not inch. And if i posted in the wrong place its because im new . So much for fellow Australians And Fair Go MATE! IF you are a Nerosurgeon i pitty you poor patients .

dragonwoman
04/25/2007, 07:32 PM
OK POSSPIE WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you could read i said i had the wrong lights on the tank and i was getting the new AQUALINA yesterday. As for the camera like i said its STUFFED! i need a new one . so dont worry as soon as i find one you will get your pic!. In regards to the manderines i work in the industry and a leading sydney marine wholesaler told me that last week. And where do i make out i know every thing this is the first salt tank i have had and im only learning . the only thing i have said that was wrong was the anenome was 7in, MY MISTAKE! as it is 7cm not inch. And if i posted in the wrong place its because im new . So much for fellow Australians And Fair Go MATE! IF you are a Nerosurgeon i pitty you poor patients .

dragonwoman
04/25/2007, 07:39 PM
PS AS YOU CAN SEE IM QUIT UPSET ABOUT THI AND POSTED THE LAST REPLY TWICE SO SORRY>

dragonwoman
04/25/2007, 07:59 PM
QUITE UPSET

elegance coral
04/25/2007, 08:00 PM
Don't worry dragonwoman. Nodody understands whats wrong with posspie. What he said was totally uncalled for and not the norm for this sight.
If your anemone is only 7 cm, I have bad news. He's not going to make it. I felt much better when I thought it was 7 in. Even then I didn't hold high hopes for the poor fellow. he's got a month or two at best. Sorry.

rvitko
04/25/2007, 08:36 PM
Folks, lets get back on topic and back on the focus of helping each other and drop the name calling and pointless banter.

The lights are not of much consequence at this point. Stabilize the water chemistry, Ritteris are considered a fish eater, and silversides would be a better choice. Having nursed back ritteris in the past with success I would suggest keeping all parameters stable, if the salinity is high very slowly bring it down and stabilize it at an S.G. of about 1.023, keep the temp constant. Feed half a silverside every other day, I generally soak them in vitamins as well.

Positive signs are: taking food, sticking to a substrate, tentacles sticking to the food or your fingers.

55semireef
04/25/2007, 08:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9813037#post9813037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elegance coral
55semireef, if HM is the second hardest to keep who is #1?

Without a doubt Stichodactyla Gigantea.

rvitko, I don't know if you know this but the name Ritteri is now the incorrect name for H. Magnifica. Some people in different parts of the world might not be familiar with this name. I am not exactly sure why it was changed but it was.

dragonwoman
04/26/2007, 12:13 AM
Thank you all for your help . The salinity is now 1.022 and the new lights are great. 55watt each 2 acin and 2 white,also has constant moonlight . The friend that has had his mag enenome for four years is now helping me with mine. He said that it is looking ok and is now clinging to the food. It also has opened wide up and its colour looks good. The clowns are happy playing in it and i hope it will be ok. Im keeping all the prams as perfect as i can and thank rvitko and 55semireef for being very kind to a newbie THANKS GUYS. PS What is silversides?

rvitko
04/26/2007, 07:38 AM
Silversides are a saltwater relative of rainbow fish, they come from down around your area. They are generally sold frozen in the frozen food section at aquarium shops. They are 2-3" long and kind of silvery white with a white stripe down the side. They look a lot like juvenile rainbowfish.

55semireef
04/26/2007, 12:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9815054#post9815054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragonwoman
Thank you all for your help . The salinity is now 1.022 and the new lights are great. 55watt each 2 acin and 2 white,also has constant moonlight . The friend that has had his mag enenome for four years is now helping me with mine. He said that it is looking ok and is now clinging to the food. It also has opened wide up and its colour looks good. The clowns are happy playing in it and i hope it will be ok. Im keeping all the prams as perfect as i can and thank rvitko and 55semireef for being very kind to a newbie THANKS GUYS. PS What is silversides?

Glad to hear its looking good for you. What kind of lighting is it again? Power compacts, metal Halides, T5s or VHOs?

55semireef
04/26/2007, 12:41 PM
I would also be interested in looking at a picture of your Magnifica if you don't mind.

dragonwoman
04/26/2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks rvitko i will have a look for them. 55 semireef the lights are compact. I have been told these are very good . They have a moonlight that stays on all the time. Im trying to get a friend to do the pic's for me and will post them as soon as we organize it.
THANKS AGAIN!

55semireef
04/26/2007, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately, Power Compacts put out very little PAR (light intensity). Heteractis Magnifica require very strong lighting. Basically, Metal Halides or T5s (t5s that have individual reflectors for each bulb) are your choices. PCs will not supply enough light long term for this anemone.

However, I am still interested in a picture of your anemone. I want to see its coloration and size. I have never heard of a Magnifica only 7cm in diameter before.

Hope that helps

rvitko
04/26/2007, 07:16 PM
What 55semireef says is true, but at this point more food is more pertinent than light. I have had ritteris (magnifica) get badly bleached and basically on the brink of death and nursed them back and food is really the secret. The ritteri in my current tank description split and half died and I am still nursing the other half, I have had that anemone for actually almost 7 years now. I use a 150w Halide with a 12K lamp.

55semireef
04/26/2007, 09:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9820899#post9820899 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rvitko
What 55semireef says is true, but at this point more food is more pertinent than light. I have had ritteris (magnifica) get badly bleached and basically on the brink of death and nursed them back and food is really the secret. The ritteri in my current tank description split and half died and I am still nursing the other half, I have had that anemone for actually almost 7 years now. I use a 150w Halide with a 12K lamp.

rvitko, do you know what caused your current Magnifica to split in the first place or is the reason unknown? How long does it usually take your Magnifica to be nursed back to life?

Thanks

dragonwoman
04/27/2007, 01:10 AM
So far it seems to be getting better each time i look at it, the fem clown is taking food to it and it curls itself in to eat. I must admit it seems to like it further from the light as i moved the rock it was on (up top) to mid tank and it seems much happier(it was there before i fixed the salt prob and it went walkabout) . It seems sensitive to to much light. Im going away this weekend and am tryng to get my friend to take pict on mon. Also of her enen as we got them together and her's looks great . Hope to get the pic's sent off so you both can see and we might get some more info on what's happened to mine !!!!!! THANKS GUYS

rvitko
04/27/2007, 09:04 AM
He lived at my old shop for many years and the new owners upgraded to a bigger display tank with more light and better filtration. I speculate the water in the new tank was too nutrient poor as most of the LPS declined and the SPS colors intensified. This likely was the trigger. The half they kept died after a few months of slow decline. My half has suffered and struggled but is now regaining color, size and stickiness and feeds readily, it is a yellow morph. When it split it was about 2ft across and had been in captivity over 6 years, the size had fluctuated from a high point of about 30" down to about 12". The clone I have is about 8" across at the moment. It generally takes a few weeks to start seeing results and food has always been more critical than light in my expereince as well as just keeping things stable.

55semireef
04/27/2007, 10:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9823002#post9823002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragonwoman
It seems sensitive to to much light.

When you say too much light, are you referring to your Power Compacts? Your Magnifica can easily withstand the light being produced by your PCs. Your lighting is actually inaquedate.