PDA

View Full Version : closed loop pumps

KENM
04/24/2007, 06:03 AM
I've recently built and installed a closed loop on my 70g reef tank and am currently using a quiet one 3000 (780gph) pump through a 3/4" scwd. The tank is not reef ready so all the plumbing comes in over the top and if the outlets are even remotely angled down, it blows sand all over my l.r. How do all you folks run these monster flow rate pumps on your c.l.'s and not destroy your aquascaping. When I'm watching the polyps, xenia's and what not waving in the stream, I can't imagine the current being any stronger without harming said items. Need info on this subject for possible future upgrades. Thanks for any and all pertinent info, K

ghostrida3
04/24/2007, 09:12 AM
what kind of returns are u running. i have my a return w/ around 750 being pumped into tank. w/ a 90degree pvc bend for the outlet so its parrallel w/ the floor of the tank, its near the top of the tank and it doesnt affect my sand bed at all. where are ur returns located?

KENM
04/24/2007, 09:49 AM
The returns come over the top of the tank sides and end just under the water line. As long as their parallel to the bottom their fine but the slightest downward angle and they kick up the sand. And for right now, it's just 3/4 pvc but am looking into loc line w/flares

jtarmitage
04/25/2007, 12:04 AM
Another option is to split the return lines at the top of the tank=4 return lines and cuts the velocity of the water coming out of the scwd.