PDA

View Full Version : Something ate my clam

Tobago
04/24/2007, 06:15 AM
I bought a small clam about a week ago - it seemed unhappy on the rocks and ended up quite happy on the sand - it was fully open and getting more colourful each day. However this morning I found a nearly empty shell with a couple of nassurius snails feeding on what was left. Would these have killed it? I also have:

1 - Coral beauty - small
1 - Pyjama wrasse
1 - Purple firefish
3 - Dancing shrimp
4 - Turbo Snail
6 - Nassurius snail

There are a lot of bristle worm (harmless type)

Any Ideas "who dunnit"?

Tobago

Mojo Jojo
04/24/2007, 06:39 AM
The angel it's no surprise they like to eat corals. Have any SPS? Once they get a taste of that clam your SPS will be next.

supervdl
04/24/2007, 06:49 AM
If the Angel has nipped on it, it would have been noticeable for a period of time during which the clam had been not fully open and unnoticeably stressed out. Maybe you have a hitchhiker crab on your live rock that does it work at night?

alan214
04/24/2007, 06:55 AM
This is a pretty common scenario for how clams check out.

It's really hard to say what happened first, whether the clam was sick and became an easy target or the Angel picked at it enough until it died and the Nassarius joined in to clean up the mess.

JENnKerry
04/24/2007, 11:59 AM
Perhaps the clam had a pinched mantle? If so, then that was probably what did him in. I had a small blue maxima that "mysteriously" disappeared overnight. And thats what others told me. The thing with clams is that they can be totally fine one day, and then gone the next for no apparent reason. Sorry for your loss.