PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a booster pump for my RO?

old95er
04/24/2007, 09:21 AM
I have a kent marine RO and just installed a 100GPD membrane, thinking that it would increase output.

The output is barely a trickle. Everything is set up correctly, I have checked three times!

The waste water output is one gallon every 4 minutes and, as I said, the product output is one drop every 10 seconds.

I have already produced around 50 gallons of water, so I know everything is saturated.

Which makes me think that my supply line is weak.

Can anyone help troubleshoot or recommend a solution?

Thanks

collins
04/24/2007, 09:33 AM
do you think your membrane may be clogged? Seems like a high rejection rate.

jeffbrig
04/24/2007, 09:48 AM
Did you change to 100gpd from a lower gpd membrane? If so, you need to change to a matching flow restrictor.

The flow restrictor is a big factor in setting your waste to product ratio.

old95er
04/24/2007, 09:53 AM
Yes it was a lower GPD membrane. Where is the flow restrictor? Where do I get a new one?

andrewr
04/24/2007, 10:54 AM
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com

old95er
04/24/2007, 11:02 AM
OK, thanks. . .

where does the flow restrictor go? on the waste? Should I get and adjustable? If so, do you restrict the flow more or less for the higher GPD membrane?

old95er
04/24/2007, 12:38 PM
my house incoming pressure is between 40 and 50 psi, will a booster pump kit also help with production? They seem expensive, and I don't want to get one if it is a waste.

Also, any advice on which flow restrictor to get, capilary or adjustable, and where to put it.

I just tried to add the post DI after the membrane on the product line, and it barely had a half an inch in the canister after an hour.

jeffbrig
04/24/2007, 09:27 PM
Call or email buckeye, the filter guys, or any other RO/DI supplier, and ask for a flow restrictor appropriate for a 100gpd membrane. They'll figure out what you need.

old salty
04/24/2007, 10:18 PM
One phone call to Russ at Buckeye Field Supply will take care of all your worries and you will come out knowing a lot about RO/DI systems.

GuySmilie
04/25/2007, 12:35 AM
Please disregard this post!

old95er
04/25/2007, 07:49 AM
Well, I found out that the flow restrictor goes on the waste line, I have one on order.

Meanwhile, I was able to crimp down on the waste line using an irwin quick grip clamp. It reduced the waste flow and increased the output to one drop every second, instead of every 4!

old95er
04/25/2007, 08:41 AM
Man do I feel like a dope. This could not have been a more straightforward logical issue.

Old salty, you were right, Buckeyefieldsupply had all the answers in their FAQ.

Also, I cannot believe that I have been wasting so much water and time. I basically crimped off the waste line, and the production increased dramatically.

Once I get that adjustable flow restrictor, I will have terrific water production!!

I did not realize that when the water gets colder, the production goes down. I live in CT, the water is ALWAYS cold!!

Anyone else who needs to know more should check out Buckeye's FAQ

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/FAQ.asp#FAQ17

Well, this has been another great learning experience on ReefCentral!! What would I do without you guys?!?!?!?

old salty
04/25/2007, 08:44 AM
Your waste to filtered ratio should be about 4 to 1. Filtered water won't exactly come gushing out, but a drop every few seconds is definitely too slow.

old95er
04/26/2007, 07:47 AM
While I am waiting for the delivery from Buckeye, I picked up a plastic ball valve and placed it at the end of my waste line. I closed it to the point that I am getting close to 4 to 1 ratio, and the product water production is much better.

This also solved the problem that I was having with the auto shutoff valve. . .I guess that the pressure in the system was not high enough before. Now, when the float valve closes, the waste shuts off within 10 minutes.

Live and learn!