PDA

View Full Version : Pink carpet anemone?

SDguy
04/24/2007, 11:07 AM
I guy on a local board just got a pink carpet anemone. I was wondering how you tell the difference between a pink carpet and a slightly bleached red one. I saw the pics. It's pink. I saw some website pics too of pink ones. I asked in the local thread, but I guess anything except a "nice score!" reply to such a thread makes me the wet blanket. :rolleyes: So is there such a thing as a pink carpet anemone? Just wondering for my own info...

TIA.

phender
04/24/2007, 12:36 PM
You are sort of splitting hairs a little when ask whether its pink or red. Pink is light red, so it just depends on your interpretation.

To answer your question, yes I have seen healthy carpets that I would consider pink. Is the guys carpet on the SD forum going to stay pink? I would guess no. (I looked at the site)

The difference is the base of the tentacles. In most carpets, the pretty colors are consentrated in the tips of the tentacles. If the base of the tentacles are brown then the tips are showing the true color of the anemone. If the base of the tentacles are white, then the tips will get a few shades darker as the anemone grows back its zooxanthellae. In some cases the tip color extends down farther on the tentacle but there is still that underlying color.

In the case of the SD carpet, it appears that the base of its tentacles are very white, which means that the color will likely become more red than pink as the anemone colors up.

SDguy
04/24/2007, 12:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9801661#post9801661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phender
You are sort of splitting hairs a little when ask whether its pink or red. Pink is light red, so it just depends on your interpretation.

To answer your question, yes I have seen healthy carpets that I would consider pink. Is the guys carpet on the SD forum going to stay pink? I would guess no. (I looked at the site)

The difference is the base of the tentacles. In most carpets, the pretty colors are consentrated in the tips of the tentacles. If the base of the tentacles are brown then the tips are showing the true color of the anemone. If the base of the tentacles are white, then the tips will get a few shades darker as the anemone grows back its zooxanthellae. In some cases the tip color extends down farther on the tentacle but there is still that underlying color.

In the case of the SD carpet, it appears that the base of its tentacles are very white, which means that the color will likely become more red than pink as the anemone colors up.

Thanks for the info. Sounds reasonable. Yeah, I suppose it's splitting hairs if it was simply sold as a "colored" carpet. But when you start to see things like "ultra rare color morph" (or something to that effect) like on one website I saw, it becomes a reasonable question, IMO.

GSMguy
04/24/2007, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9801734#post9801734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Thanks for the info. Sounds reasonable. Yeah, I suppose it's splitting hairs if it was simply sold as a "colored" carpet. But when you start to see things like "ultra rare color morph" (or something to that effect) like on one website I saw, it becomes a reasonable question, IMO.
totally reasonable. there are so many color morph of haddonis

anybody ever seen a pink or red gigantea???

phender
04/24/2007, 01:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9801734#post9801734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy

I totally agree. FWIW: one of the pink (or fushia I think they called a couple of them) anemones on the web site mentioned looked bleached, but one of the other ones looks like it would retain its color. On this particular site the pinks were the same price as the reds and comparable with what they have historically charged for reds of any quality, of that same size.

phender
04/24/2007, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9801794#post9801794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
totally reasonable. there are so many color morph of haddonis

anybody ever seen a pink or red gigantea???

Yes. I saw a couple red giganteas a few years ago. One of the sold red/pink carpets on the cquarium site (2nd page) appears like it might be a gigantea.
The cover pic on Martin Moe's "Marine Aquarium Handbook- Beginner to Breeder" shows a bleached pink/red gigantea.

SDguy
04/24/2007, 01:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9801890#post9801890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phender
I totally agree. FWIW: one of the pink (or fushia I think they called a couple of them) anemones on the web site mentioned looked bleached, but one of the other ones looks like it would retain its color. On this particular site the pinks were the same price as the reds and comparable with what they have historically charged for reds of any quality, of that same size.

Even more good info. Thanks a lot! :D

arcab4
04/24/2007, 05:14 PM
PICTURES?!??!?!! :)

BonsaiNut
04/25/2007, 08:56 AM
There ARE pink S. gigantea. They are very rare. There are loads of red S. haddonis, so many that I would call them "uncommon" in the trade. I have never seen a true pink one however.