PDA

View Full Version : What fish can "take the heat"?

jefathome
04/24/2007, 03:04 PM
I have a nano in my garage that can get a little warm in the summers (85+).

Previously there was a Jewel damsel in there, but I introduced a new fish (clown) and it brough in some Ick. Been about 4 months now, and I'm looking to introduce a fish again.

So... what fish are not too sensitive to temp swings? I assume some of the small guys that inhabit tide-pools would be goos since they can have a wide temp swing once they are cut off from the ocean. Then, they cool down real fast when that first wave comes in again after baking in the sun all day.

Down in the Bahamas, I saw some yellow and purple fish that looked a lot like a purple stripe psudochromis in all the little pools.
The purp Psudo lives in the red sea or something though.

jmaneyapanda
04/24/2007, 03:08 PM
a bi-product of high temps is low oxygen. In tidepools, there is loads of lagae making O2, if not crashing waves, so that is countereffected. If your temep routine swing up to mid to mid/high eighties, I woukld avoid fish. Sorry.

jefathome
04/24/2007, 03:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9802822#post9802822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
a bi-product of high temps is low oxygen. In tidepools, there is loads of lagae making O2, if not crashing waves, so that is countereffected. If your temep routine swing up to mid to mid/high eighties, I woukld avoid fish. Sorry.

Yes, but having a skimmer and fuge will counter the low O2 issue.

Some of the tidepools I saw were above the water (ie, no waves crashing into it) and had almost no algae. Fish did fine...
Also, the damsel I used to have in there was fine till a newcomer got him sick. I know that there are fish out there that will work, I just want to know which ones.
I can always get another one of the Jewel damsels, but Im wondering what my other options are.

jmaneyapanda
04/24/2007, 03:46 PM
Good luck, then. I think it is a problem waiting to strike, but good luck nonetheless.

Bret61081
04/24/2007, 03:59 PM
I am not saying to put a fish through the temp swings but at my LFS has one of those acrylic hanging tanks like the one on the cover of the robb report last year...and the temp in that thing is always up and down....the fish that does the best in it are Damsels and Chromis. He tried butterflys but they always came down with ich. You can also put in some Hermits...the bigger they are the better they do!....Good luckl

jefathome
04/24/2007, 04:04 PM
I'm not talking about temps up in the 90 degree level or anything.
I'm talking about 85-87.

My main tank can survive 83 no problem... some people do as high as 85 and O2 is not a problem. It is the swing that usually gets the fish b/c the ocean doesn't vary that much in a 24hr period. There are plenty of fish that can survive the tide-pools though. As I said, I saw some nice looking fish survive in a 2g "puddle" in bare rock with no algae and temps as high as 90 degrees. Once the first wave comes in, temps drop to ambient water temps of about 78.

I had a damsel in this tank for well over a year with no problems as well, so I know that some fish can take it. Others (like wrasse) are very temp sensitive.

Thanks for the feedback though.
:thumbsup:

jefathome
04/24/2007, 04:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9803178#post9803178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bret61081
I am not saying to put a fish through the temp swings but at my LFS has one of those acrylic hanging tanks like the one on the cover of the robb report last year...and the temp in that thing is always up and down....the fish that does the best in it are Damsels and Chromis. He tried butterflys but they always came down with ich. You can also put in some Hermits...the bigger they are the better they do!....Good luckl

Yeah, the Hermets in there are still doing fine. So are most of the snails, and the Zoa's are growing out of control.

I've seen tide-pool shots from Hawaii though with Zoa's, urchins, and anemones. Heck, I see anemones in the tide pools here in SOCAL. Those pools go from the 60 range to well into the 80's in a matter of hours. Life adapts to all niche environments. I just want to know what life that is. ;) This is more directed towards j-panda though.

Cantonesefish
04/24/2007, 07:26 PM
Whether or not the fish can "take it," it still stresses the fish. Unfortunately fish can't talk and tell you whether they're going through hell or not, but contracting itch is a definite sign of stress. If you can find a tough tidepool fish that is used to large temp swings then go for it; otherwise stick with inverts.... or move the tank inside ;)