PDA

View Full Version : Adding another anemone ?

ScallopKing
04/24/2007, 11:09 PM
I have a 8x2x2 tank with a rather large 8-10" sebae on the very right side with a pair of mating false perculas.

Would it be okay to add another anemone, say 8 feet away on the very left side with a completely different pair of clowns?

Which kind of clowns won't harass my pair now or take their home? If that would even happen.

I'm thinking of a haddoni carpet anemone. Which clown is good for that kind?

THanks.

Tang Salad
04/24/2007, 11:22 PM
I think in a tank that size you should have no problems.

angelfishman
04/25/2007, 05:09 AM
with that size tank you should be ok,you could try a pair of saddleback clownfish they are quite peaceful and its their natural host.i have 3 pairs of clowns in my tank,1 pair wild percs 1 pair red sea clowns,1pair black percs and a single fire clowns not had a problem so far.derek

Slakker
04/25/2007, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't risk it. Especially with A. Polymnus, they're actually known to be pretty aggressive.

First of all, there are no guarantees that a second anemone will stay on the other end of the tank where you put it. There are certainly no guarantees that a new pair of clowns will even want to host the new anemone. By adding competition in the form of another pair of clowns, you may very well stress your current pair so much that they don't feel comfortable enough to spawn. You may even end up with some dead fish.

GSMguy
04/25/2007, 09:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9807490#post9807490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by angelfishman
with that size tank you should be ok,you could try a pair of saddleback clownfish they are quite peaceful and its their natural host.i have 3 pairs of clowns in my tank,1 pair wild percs 1 pair red sea clowns,1pair black percs and a single fire clowns not had a problem so far.derek

um seriously?

saddlebacks are a bad idea anybody reccomending them has not seen a full grown female female......

the best clowns you could add would be more ocellaris or a pair of skunks or a pair of percula.
also it would be best to pre pair them with the anemone so they dont wander the tank and run into the clowns you allready have in there because i would imagine that a fight would break out quickly.

derek how big is the tank you have 7 clowns in?
how long has it been set up?
when did you add the first pair?
how is the tank set up?
what order did you add the clownfish?

mixing clowns like this has led to many problems i want to know how you have figured it out.

arcab4
04/25/2007, 09:54 AM
i had a 60 gallon where i had 2 pairs of anemones/clowns on both sides. they never venture far enough from the anemone to see each other.

ScallopKing
04/25/2007, 01:11 PM
I am more worried about the clowns not getting along than anything else. I've had a carpet before - never moved at all after I placed it - lucky I guess.

What's an A. Polymnus?

Why are saddlebacks a bad idea?

My clowns stopped spawning unfortunately when I just moved tanks two weeks ago. I hope they go at it again.

So, if you had to choose the best anemone/clownfish combo knowing what I have already, what would it be?

Slakker
04/25/2007, 01:28 PM
Personally I'd leave it at just the one pair, and set up a smaller tank for another pair of clowns. Maybe not an option, but if you've got a sump you can more likely than not plumb the new tank into the same system.

A. Polymnus is the scientific name for saddleback clowns.

Toddrtrex
04/25/2007, 10:04 PM
I personally wouldn't do it, but if you are going too, I have to agree with a couple of the above posts, saddle backs (mainly the female) can and will get really mean. I had a pair for a couple of years, there were almost worse than my GSM pair (all were in different tanks) if you were going to try this, I would suggest one of the skunks, they are fair peaceful -- at least in my experience.

angelfishman
04/26/2007, 04:29 AM
tank is 400galls has been set up for over 3 yrs,it contains 6 anemones 2 magnifica,1 heteractis crispa and 3 red bta.the first clowns to be added pair of red sea clowns then a pair of fire clowns but male has died since,female is quite large and she resides in between the 3 red bta.the next to be added one pair of black percs and last one pair of wild percs which reside in heteractis crispa which is about 5ft away from the others.the 2 magnifica hold the pair of red sea clowns which are spawning on a regular basis but the black percs wont reside in any anemone.they have been in the tank for nearly 12 months but show no interest.they live with a 9in blue r angel,8in blue face angel,5in blue face angel,6in moorish idol,5in yellow tang and a 3in cleaner wrasse. non of the fish have shown agression against each other just myself when i put my hand in the tank.it could be with having quite a few anemones in the tank which has reduced the agression among the clowns.i have kept maroons with saddleback clowns with no problems at all,i think keeping each pair in an anemone does reduce agression among them.derek