PDA

View Full Version : Do you think someone would buy this

t11t5
04/25/2007, 06:04 AM
I was thinking of taking a break from the hobby. It would be great to sell everything at once. Here is what I have. I am not selling anything yet so don't PM me and ask or reserve anything. I was wondering what I should ask if someone would buy it all at once. I know that hard to find someone to do this but you never know...

150g aga tank
oak stand and canopy
solid oak light with 3-400w MH and ballasts
tunze ts14 kit
Pacific coast 1/2 hp chiller
230lbs fiji LR
140lbs LS
reefkeeper 2
55g refugium/sump
Euro-reef RS-250 skimmer
JBJ ato
Typhoon III RO/DI unit
Pro-clear overflow
MTC 250 skimmer
2-mag drive 9.5 pumps

Live Stock
1- blue morph tang
3- yellow tangs
3- green chromis
1- sixline wrasse
2- chalk bass
1- yellow tail damsel
1- lawnmower blenny
1- orange linkia star
1- cinnamon clown
around 40 nails
38 pieces of coral\ soft mostly

I have lots of misc. items that would go along with this. Like pumps, filters, food, addatives, plumbing pieces, buckets, etc.

cowboyswife
04/25/2007, 06:18 AM
Someone would be very lucky to buy such a nice setup. I see whole setups like that sell on craigslist quite frequently. If you do decide to sell, best of luck!

useskaforevil
04/25/2007, 07:14 AM
good luck. if not i'd be interested and i have an uncle who's just setting up a tank and might need a fair amoutn of it, but i know he doesent want a new tank

t11t5
04/25/2007, 10:42 AM
Maybe I will post it on craigslist.com

davidryder
04/25/2007, 11:02 AM
Just be aware that if you decide to come back in how much all of that equipment cost. I set up a 125 as my second tank, sold everything and when I came back in to the hobby I wished that I had kept almost everything including the rock.

reefshadow
04/25/2007, 06:31 PM
You are likely to get a better return by parting stuff out, on a full setup you would be very lucky to get 1/3 value for what you paid.

Parting out, 1/2 return is pretty realistic depending on the livestock/equipment, some high end equipment you may be able to get 2/3rds back depending on condition.

It sucks to try and sell when you know what stuff costs because you are unlikely to get a good return. Most people not actively involved in the hobby don't have any idea or know or care about the difference between a Tunze and a Seio, and unfortunately most people buying package deals are new to the hobby. You can find lots of reefers looking for specific equipment and/or livestock though, so if you have the time and inclination parting out is a good option, though kind of hard to figure out logistically.

CL is free though, you could always list and see what happens.

giantxtc
04/25/2007, 10:02 PM
I took a short break when I moved last year,and I kept all my equipment.I was glad I did because stuff is so darn expensive!I was offered about 30 cents on the dollar for my setup.Why could'nt I find a deal like that when I was starting up!?:confused:

t11t5
04/26/2007, 01:33 AM
I have every receipt for everything. All the equipment is less than 6 months old. I just upgraded the system to all this high end equipment.

pco1988
04/26/2007, 10:22 AM
Keep the equipment and if you can keep the live rock. Sell the live stock and just trash the sand. Everyone here has to take a break at one time and the equipment is so expensive, and when you go back its just as expensive than the first time. Save yourself the trouble and keep what you can.

Genral72
04/26/2007, 10:38 AM
Tanks rarely go for more than $800 dollars no matter there size. I bought a complete 75 gallon setup for 1/3 the price it would have cost me to buy everything individually even if I had bought low end used equipment. This tank had equipment that was high end. With saltwater it is almost lways worth it to part out your equipment.

reefshadow
04/26/2007, 01:01 PM
I have every receipt for everything. All the equipment is less than 6 months old. I just upgraded the system to all this high end equipment.
I hear you, it is frustrating. If you are concerned with getting the best return, you better part out. Otherwise 1/3rd or even less is average for package deals. Resale on this hobby is just sucky as heck.

The problem IMO is most of the experienced reefers who know what all that is worth already have their own money pits so you are unlikely to sell the whole thing to them, but you can find lots and lots of folks who know what the stuff is worth that need a chiller, or a controller, or a lighting system, so they are likely to pay more, but usually only about 50 percent unless it is VERY high end desirable equipment, then you may get 2/3rds, but probably not more.

Good luck whatever you decide though.

davidryder
04/26/2007, 01:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9815273#post9815273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by t11t5

Another reason to keep it all... that stuff doesn't mean anything when it comes to resale. Unless you need the cash, I would hold on to it.

Genral72
04/26/2007, 02:13 PM
Where in Ohio are you? If you want I could take it off your hands for you so that you don't have to go through the hassle of selling it. :D

t11t5
04/28/2007, 06:10 AM
Example: The tunze TS14 set. How much would a good price be on it? I bought it in January of 07.

alexinfla
04/28/2007, 08:38 AM
Used is used, so about 50% of what you paid is what you can hope to get.

SteveOhh
04/28/2007, 09:12 AM
On Tunze's I beg to differ...................I see 6060's & 6080's that are 2 years old selling for 75% or more of thier original selling price. You offer a 6060 here for $110 & someone will snatch it faster then you can blink.......

HBtank
04/28/2007, 10:54 AM
I think the tunze, skimmer, chiller and conroller are good examples of stuff to aprt out and get 2/3 the original.

The rest, not so much, either they wear hard and people are willing to buy it new to get the reliability, or are cheap to begin with. Even if very expensive to start. Something about a used tank/stand, for example, that is unappealing.. at least to me. No matter what they seem to wear in ways that I would just rather get a brand new one, or used for way cheap.

reefshadow
04/28/2007, 11:42 AM
I think the tunze, skimmer, chiller and conroller are good examples of stuff to aprt out and get 2/3 the original.

Yup, this is the equipment I would think would get the best return as well.

As far as realistic asking price for the whole package? I don't want to disappoint you but if you listed for 2,000 you would probably be VERY lucky to get 1,500. Harsh, considering by my guess you have probably paid what- a conservative 5,500-7,000? Most people in hobby don't want an entire package, and most people entering the hobby don't know what the he!! they are looking at when they see a nice tank. They may want it and think it sure looks pretty but couldn't imagine paying 1200 bucks for lights, or an average of 30 bucks for a coral, ect... I still have people come over and look at the tank and think all the "plants" look really pretty and want to know what they cost then they crap when they find out I have probably spent about 20 k in the last 6 years on this hobby with various tanks.

Reasale value is total crap in this hobby.

t11t5
04/28/2007, 04:40 PM
If i do part it out, Im sure not looking foward to it. All the hassle. But if it comes to it. I thought about makeing it a FOWL tank instead. But who knows. I change my mind alot......