PDA

View Full Version : KH:.6, ALK:.23, Cal:0...HUH???

Kaos
04/25/2007, 10:36 AM
I just got my new Salifert test kits in. I checked all my water param's on my almost 3 month old nano (check sig) and everything is great except for my KH/ALK and Cal (check subject for actual readings).

I recently started back using an old bucket (probably 3+ years old) of IO when I noticed my LFS's s/w was causing an algae bloom. Can salt mix lose it's cal and buffering capabilities over time? Did I get an abnormally low bucket of IO?

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? I have recently started dripping Kalk because I noticed my coralline was disappearing (it was everywhere when I was using the LFS's s/w). The Kalk has casued my coralline to start growing back, but very slowly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tkeracer619
04/25/2007, 10:52 AM
I think you should get a RO unit, a new bucket of salt, and some other test kit to confirm the salifert.

That LFS with ~250 TDS water messed your nano up huh?

davidryder
04/25/2007, 10:59 AM
How often do you do water changes? Have you read the instructions thoroughly? Those readings are not likely right...

Kaos
04/25/2007, 11:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809324#post9809324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tkeracer619
I think you should get a RO unit, a new bucket of salt, and some other test kit to confirm the salifert.

I already have the RO unit (SpectraPure CSP-DI 80). I bought that very shortly after I figured the LFS water was bad.

As soon as I can get to my LFS (1 hour and 15 min. drive) I will be getting some more salt mix.

The test kits are going to be harder to come by. Hardly any stores in my area carry ALK and Cal. test kits. And when you do find them they are very expensive. I may try and order another brand to check these Salifert but I really hate to spend more $$$ since I just dropped over a $100 on this Salifert pack.

Kaos
04/25/2007, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809360#post9809360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davidryder
How often do you do water changes? Have you read the instructions thoroughly? Those readings are not likely right...

I do a 10% w/c every week (without fail).

I read and re-read the instructions. I also tested twice and got the same readings each time. I'm really hoping it's something w/ the test kits. I may post this in the Salifert forum and see what Habib has to say.

drummereef
04/25/2007, 11:04 AM
Do you believe you are performing the tests correctly?

tkeracer619
04/25/2007, 11:05 AM
aquarium pharmies makes some cheap test kits. You might have to order them but I would be backing up the saliferts to know you didnt waste $100 on some junk test kits.

I agree with davidryder that the readings are incorrect

Kaos
04/25/2007, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809395#post9809395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Do you believe you are performing the tests correctly?

As best as I can tell according to the instructions. But just to make sure I may check a third time.

I feel I am pretty good at following written instructions because the aircraft I work on has hundreds of manuals for each little thing. Everything I do has to be done in accordance w/ the proceedure in the apropriate manual and signed off (by me and my crew leader) saying I did it that way, and then checked by my comapany's QA (quality assurance) and then checked by the Coast Guards QA. :rolleye1: (it's very redundant)

Kaos
04/25/2007, 11:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809399#post9809399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tkeracer619
aquarium pharmies makes some cheap test kits. You might have to order them but I would be backing up the saliferts to know you didnt waste $100 on some junk test kits.

I agree with davidryder that the readings are incorrect

I have some old Red Sea test kits that has a cal kit. I may try it to see if they line up w/ the Salifert (doubful).

The more I look at it and the more I think, I just don't see how the readings can be correct. I was thinking that maybe something was wrong w/ the salt mix. (I know I'm reaching).

LobsterOfJustice
04/25/2007, 11:51 AM
I dont think those reading are correct. I dont believe those numbers are found in the scale on the salifert conversion table on the right side of the directions. How much are you emptying out of the 1mL syringe? I empty Ca almost all the way to get about 420 and Alk about halfway to get a decent natural sea water alk reading.

drummereef
04/25/2007, 11:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809441#post9809441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kaos
As best as I can tell according to the instructions. But just to make sure I may check a third time.

I feel I am pretty good at following written instructions because the aircraft I work on has hundreds of manuals for each little thing. Everything I do has to be done in accordance w/ the proceedure in the apropriate manual and signed off (by me and my crew leader) saying I did it that way, and then checked by my comapany's QA (quality assurance) and then checked by the Coast Guards QA. :rolleye1: (it's very redundant)

Just making sure. :) In the instructions are you using the "Calcium Table"? The syringe will be saying 0.00, but actual calcium level will be 500ppm.

SDguy
04/25/2007, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809324#post9809324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tkeracer619

I'd rather he confirm he's running/reading the test(s) correctly before running out and buying a bunch of new stuff.

Kaos
04/25/2007, 10:19 PM
Hold on while I finish this piece of humble pie....:rolleye1:

Ok now that I got that down it seems I'm not as smart as I originally thought. I WAS reading the test kit wrong. I thought I went by how much of the solution I used not what the plunger on the syringe said. I took the directions out just now and re-read them and you guys are right. It is me and not the test kit that is wrong. :hmm4: :hmm3: :hmm5: :crazy1:

Thanks allot everyone for helping me find MY mistake. It's really been one of those days. Thanks God it's over.

Kaos
04/25/2007, 10:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809767#post9809767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Just making sure. :) In the instructions are you using the "Calcium Table"? The syringe will be saying 0.00, but actual calcium level will be 500ppm.

You nailed it!!!

drummereef
04/25/2007, 10:22 PM
Great! Glad it all worked out for you. Now, what are your correct levels reading? :D

davidryder
04/25/2007, 10:45 PM
Wooooo!!!!!!!

Kaos
04/25/2007, 10:53 PM
Ok, here are the correct levels:
Cal: 390
KH: 12.8
Alk: 4.57

I know the calcium is a little low and the KH/Alk are high. What do I do to lower the KH/Alk and raise the calcium? (continue to drip Kalk?)

drummereef
04/25/2007, 10:55 PM
That's more like it. :) I would stop dosing the kalk for a bit to let the alk fall. Use some Turbo Calcium, or other calcium chloride equivalent, to raise the Ca up to the desired level. Then once the desired alk/ca levels have been targeted then go back to maintaining with the kalk. ;)

Use this caclulator to help with dosing the Ca suppliment. :)

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Just remember:
7-11dkh or 2.5-4.0 meq/l alkalinity
380-450 ppm calcium
1250-1350 ppm magnesium

Kaos
04/25/2007, 10:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9814729#post9814729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
That's more like it. :) I would stop dosing the kalk for a bit to let the alk fall. Use some Turbo Calcium, or other calcium chloride equivalent, to raise the Ca up to the desired level. Then once the desired alk/ca levels have been targeted then go back to maintaining with the kalk. ;)

Use this caclulator to help with dosing the Ca suppliment. :)

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Just remember:
7-11dkh or 2.5-4.0 meq/l alkalinity
380-450 ppm calcium
1250-1350 ppm magnesium

Awsome! Thanks!

drummereef
04/25/2007, 11:01 PM
Anytime friend. :thumbsup:

HBtank
04/25/2007, 11:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9814512#post9814512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kaos
Hold on while I finish this piece of humble pie....:rolleye1:

Ok now that I got that down it seems I'm not as smart as I originally thought. I WAS reading the test kit wrong. I thought I went by how much of the solution I used not what the plunger on the syringe said. I took the directions out just now and re-read them and you guys are right. It is me and not the test kit that is wrong. :hmm4: :hmm3: :hmm5: :crazy1:

Thanks allot everyone for helping me find MY mistake. It's really been one of those days. Thanks God it's over.

Naw, you did it the logical way. I read the directions three times because it was backwards IMO as well.

Oversimplification gets me every time... I was all excited to do a calculation and then realized I just had to read the line :)

SDguy
04/26/2007, 07:03 AM
Also, check the levels of your freshly made salt water. Depending on brand of salt, you may be starting with skewed levels. High alk and low Ca looks like my Instant Ocean results.

Also, in the future, you may want to consider a Magnesium test kit...since it plays a big role in keeping alk/ca levels up.

Glad you figured it out :)

In Deep Water
04/26/2007, 08:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9809373#post9809373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kaos
[B
The test kits are going to be harder to come by. Hardly any stores in my area carry ALK and Cal. test kits. And when you do find them they are very expensive. I may try and order another brand to check these Salifert but I really hate to spend more $$$ since I just dropped over a $100 on this Salifert pack. [/B]

I would check out Marine Depot.com. They carry the Saliferts and have them at discounted rates. I would never buy test kits from the LFS because they usually have them at a 100-200% mark up.

Craig Lambert
04/26/2007, 08:15 AM
I'll second Marine Depot. Your readings are pretty standard for Instant Ocean Salt. (Which is fine stuff). If you have trouble raising calcium it will be due to low magnesium. IO is generally low in magnesium. That is another test kit that everyone should have. ALK, Calcium, and Magnesium are all related as far as the parameters you would like to achieve and maintain.