PDA

View Full Version : CPR Overflow and siphon failure?

gistsc
04/25/2007, 01:39 PM
Ok, I have started to construct a 10gal fuge for my 29 gal reef tank. I purchased a CPR overflow for it. After reading about the overflow, I am worried about preventing an overflow if the DT due to siphon loss on the overflow. I read that if the siphin is lost, the water stops to the fuge and contiunes to pump from the fuge into the DT until all the water in the fuge is gone. Scarry! I did purchase an Aqualifter pump to help prevent this from happening, but I am still worried. Is there a way to ensure I will not overflow the DT. Aslo, what type of return pump should I use? I have the CPR CS-50 overflow. I assume that with the rated gph flow of that box, I would control the amount of water going into the fuge by limiting the pump flow with a ball valve?

Any help is much appreciated.

Ready willing and able to do a boneheaded newbie mistacke, but would like to prevent it.

cdentii1
04/25/2007, 02:02 PM
Not to be negative or anything but IMOP get a different overflow box and return or sell the CPR. I have heard way too many horror stories about them and not once have I ever had a problem with the standard type of overflow. Just my 2 cents.

rob28
04/25/2007, 02:07 PM
The size of your return section of your fuge will detremine the amount of water that will be pumped back into the display if the siphon is lost...You wont pump the whole fuge empty,bubble trap keeps the fuge section at a constant level....if return small this is where your evaporation level comes into play...Small section is ok if your home every day to top up if it runs low. you just have to allow room for the return section to be pumped into DT without overflowing

jefathome
04/25/2007, 02:24 PM
Here is a decent idea....
Are you doing an internal return pump, or using a bulkhead and an external?

Im using an external, so all I did was add a stand-pipe to the fuge/bulkhead that sits about an inch or two below the surface.
This way, if the overflow loses siphon, the level in the fuge can only go down so much before the pump runs dry... and there will still be plenty of water in the sump/fuge to keep everything alive in there.

Same concept as using a HOB overflow. The water can only drain drom your DT down to the level of the teeth in the overflow, thus keeping your sump from overflowing if the power goes out.

If you are using an internal pump, either raise it up a bit with a stand, or build a litle box that it will sit in inside the sump (with walls going up to about an inch or two below the surface of the sump water level.

gistsc
04/25/2007, 06:37 PM
jefathome and rob28

Thank you, you turned on the lightbulb in my head. I did not even think how the bulkheads would limit the amount of water that could return with the loss of siphon. I do have one bulkhead and a bubble trap, so I should be ok. In fact my return section is very small and I can use our suggestion about lifting the pump to limit the amount even more.

Thanks

1F2FRFBF
04/25/2007, 06:59 PM
I thought about getting a small pump to keep the siphon going, but for now I'm just using gravity. I have a long line running from the siphon vent to the return in my sump, and the intake suction from the pump helps to keep the line flowing. So far no problems.

Shagsbeard
04/25/2007, 07:26 PM
My CPR has been working fine for almost a year. The aqualifter needed a quick repair at one point, so having an extra one of those is a plus.

gistsc
04/25/2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I am on the right track.

Ya! 100 Posts. Guess I better get an avatar.