PDA

View Full Version : Why does my Tomato Clown likes to live alone?

GoLowDrew
04/25/2007, 04:03 PM
My Tomato clown has been with me almost since day one. Every other types of fishes around him has come and gone. Different Clowns and Damsels seems to have well with him for a good period of time 8-10 months. Then they die.

For example. My last damsel lived with him, side by side for a good 8 months. There's just the two of them. He then started to "chase" the damsel for no reason. Next thing you know, he is dead one morning.

Does (Tomato) clowns have a mating season where they act out? I would think if he doesn't get along or is agressive, I would have known about it as soon as I introduce a new fish. I just seem to be on this 8 month cycle. Just an obeservation.

bertoni
04/25/2007, 04:32 PM
Tomato clowns can be fairly aggressive, and that tank isn't very large. I'd just stop adding new fish if the problem seems to be fighting.

scav1180
04/25/2007, 04:42 PM
I have a tomato clown. He gets along pretty well with my coral beauty, all my chromis and six line.

Before I used to have 2damsels, clown would be super aggressive with them. I got rid of them cause they were beating up my yellow goby. Took forever to catch them. Clown isn't aggressive at all anymore. Time to time he'll chase but not as much as before.

Tomato Clown is the longest fish i've owned. Last year he almost died. He had a bad case of ich.. I didn't have a QT tank and I didn't really have much fish in the tank. him and 2 damsels. So I thought this was it.. His fins were all ripping off, gill area was ripped open.. Literally hanging on for dear life but for some reason he was able to eat. So I mixed bunch of grinded up garlic into the food. Thinking this was my last hope to revive him.

I thought it was over but about couple weeks pass by(repeating the garlic each day with food), somehow he recovered and survived the whole ordeal. He is now healthy and grew a lot bigger.

GoLowDrew
04/25/2007, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9811772#post9811772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
Tomato clowns can be fairly aggressive, and that tank isn't very large. I'd just stop adding new fish if the problem seems to be fighting.

Well, the Tomato clown does not have a problem with any fish from the beginning for many months. And seem to developed an aggression only after like 8 months. Why after so long? I'm trying to figure this part out.

onecrzyboi4u
04/25/2007, 04:49 PM
Was the clown the very first fish in the tank? if so they would probably be it.. i had tomato clowns before those suckers were super mean i had to just take them back to the lfs..

GoLowDrew
04/25/2007, 05:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9811871#post9811871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by onecrzyboi4u
Was the clown the very first fish in the tank? if so they would probably be it.. i had tomato clowns before those suckers were super mean i had to just take them back to the lfs..

Yes. Sort of. Meaning my "first" fish actually didn't make it - I think my tank was still too fresh at that time. But I also changed tanks three times as I was moving. So even back then, he had no "tank advantage" during each of the move.

onecrzyboi4u
04/25/2007, 05:10 PM
What a evil clown ... LoL

Frick-n-Frags
04/25/2007, 05:57 PM
a lot of fish don't get "lonely" they would prefer no intruders

and clownfish are damselfish, which explains some of the aggresion between clowns and damsels since they are very closely related.

MimicTang
04/25/2007, 07:08 PM
He may be able to sense you coming in the room and stops what he's doing. Clownfish aren't stupid.