PDA

View Full Version : adding sand to BB

tcarola154
04/26/2007, 10:42 AM
I was wondering what would be the best way to add a sandbed to a BB tank. I moved a few months back and didnt have an effective way of bringing my whole old sand bed so ive been running my tank BB since the move. Ive been keeping my diamond watchman goby in a small 10 gal tank with a sand bed and I want to put him back in my main tank.

so yea, any suggestions on how I should do it? I'm planning on using the caribsea aragamax, as it is what I had before and my goby seemed to like it

omni2226
04/26/2007, 10:45 AM
After rinsing it well to remove the "dust", put the sand in some gallon sized ziplock bags.
Lower the bag to the bottom, unzip it and slowly pour the sand out.

tcarola154
04/26/2007, 10:49 AM
i was trying to think of a way to get it to the bottom without just pouring it... and the ziplock thing seems like a pretty good idea.
thanks for the fast response!

Rhodesholar
04/26/2007, 11:20 AM
YOu can also try sending it down through a 2in or so piece of PVC pipe. Bottom line, your going to have clouding, no two ways about it.

Not to worry, it harms none of the livestock.

Kannin
04/26/2007, 07:53 PM
make sure you turn off your power heads 'til the dust settles

navipro1
04/27/2007, 02:15 AM
turn of all flow, fill the sand in a plastic tall cup, put cup inside tank and pour in onto the floor as low as possible, repeat as needed, Can also use a turkey baster to blow off any particles that are on the rocks.
wait 15minutes or more for everything to settle then start pumps again.