PDA

View Full Version : are midas blennies jumpers?

Saddler
04/26/2007, 03:50 PM
Do midas blennies tend to jump out of tanks?

papagimp
04/26/2007, 03:53 PM
Not sure if it's a tendency of their species, but I know I've heard about many o' lawnmowers going carpet surfing. But weather that was an individual case vs. a species trend, I couldn't say.

Big L.E.E.
04/26/2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, ours went carpet surfing a couple of weeks ago, despite having eggcrate on top of the tank. He must of hit a gap in the corner I had for some cables.

Our seemed a bit skittish, so next time I get one, I'll look for one that is less prone to hide.

L.E.E.

USC-fan
04/26/2007, 04:16 PM
YES

i have egg crate and the midas blenny still somehow jumped into my overflow.

sufunk
04/26/2007, 04:40 PM
They certainly have the reputation of jumpers but i've had mine in an open top 36g for 2 years with no problems. He spends the vast majority of the time along the bottom of the tank and other than feeding time, I never see him even near the top much less considering jumping.

alexb518
04/26/2007, 04:46 PM
many blennys are jumpers and in nature will jump pool to pool.

Kanicky
04/26/2007, 05:46 PM
Yep, 'tis true. Our first one jumped out and just about broke my heart. We have a smaller one now that doesn't show much interest in the top of the water, but we also have eggcrate across the top.

seapug
04/26/2007, 06:06 PM
same here, mine became a crispy critter on the floor. Midas Blennies are cool looking but keep in mind they often don't have the fun rockhopping blenny personality. Mine tended to spend a lot of time nervously swimming in the water column. I thought there was something wrong with it until I came across an article that explained it-- in their natural habitat they are usually found feeding and swimming with large schools of anthias-- hence their similar coloring and restlessness.

Saddler
04/26/2007, 07:41 PM
I've generally heard to keep one species of blenny per tank, could I get away with another non-fang blenny in a 110g? Also, do blennies get along well with jawfish?

sufunk
04/26/2007, 08:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9820411#post9820411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
same here, mine became a crispy critter on the floor. Midas Blennies are cool looking but keep in mind they often don't have the fun rockhopping blenny personality. Mine tended to spend a lot of time nervously swimming in the water column. I thought there was something wrong with it until I came across an article that explained it-- in their natural habitat they are usually found feeding and swimming with large schools of anthias-- hence their similar coloring and restlessness.

Thats weird, my midas definitely has the most personality of any fish in my tank. By far my favorite fish.

seapug
04/26/2007, 10:14 PM
sounds like you got the one I wanted!

Duddly01
04/27/2007, 10:39 AM
Mine jumped, found an opening in the egg crate and was unable to get back through. found cooked on top of it that evening. Very sad, they are such beautiful fish. I have also had two firefish jump. Gobies, blennies and jawfish are notorious for jumping.