PDA

View Full Version : Baked Baking Soda Question

amike5
04/26/2007, 07:33 PM
For about 5 months I have used Randy's Recipe #2 in my tank without any problems whatsoever. A week ago, I decided that Recipe #1 would work better in my tank. However when I dose the Alk part, it seems to instantly solidify in my sump. Upon testing, the alk dosage seemed to only raise by 1/2 of what it should have. Am I doing something wrong here, or is it ok?

robrich342
04/26/2007, 07:39 PM
did you bake it? I have used it for a year and it works great

amike5
04/26/2007, 07:45 PM
Yes, baked it at 310 for 1 hour 10 minutes.

robrich342
04/26/2007, 07:53 PM
you really need to shake it up well before you add it to your tank.I add mine into the tank not in the sump, I just pour it into a good flow area a little at a time. It really boost the alk.

amike5
04/26/2007, 08:00 PM
I guess I will try that next time. It seems to collect and solidify within a few seconds of adding. Maybe adding to a larger volume of water and more slowly will take care of it.

bertoni
04/26/2007, 09:33 PM
You might be seeing some precipitation. The baked baking soda raises pH, which can reduce the solubility of calcium carbonate. Most likely, though, the precipitation is magnesium hydroxide, which will redissolve after a bit of mixing.

rick s
04/27/2007, 10:02 AM
I'm on my 4th gallon of his receipe 1. I don't get any more of a "cloud" than when I use B-Ionic. How much are you adding at once?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9821210#post9821210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robrich342
you really need to shake it up well before you add it to your tank. Just want to point out: Not in my experience. To get it to initially disolve I heat up the RODI water, dump the baked baking soda right out of the oven and into the water, and then stir it for awhile. I barely have any residue on the bottom of the container. I do not shake it up before it goes into my tank as I don't have any need to.

Just wanted to add "my experience" to the opinions.

rick s
04/27/2007, 10:08 AM
I do want to add: Are you saying it all clumps together to form one big ball or are you seeing small clumps like little styrofoam balls? On occasion, I have seen mine form the little balls, but then they disperse again. I've only seen that happen if I add more than normal at one time.

As mentioned above, do you add it in a very high flow area? Try adding it directly in front of a powerhead.

reefnetworth
04/27/2007, 05:06 PM
wally-world has cheap mixers, and it takes about 25-30 minutes to turn clear. its quite boring but very little if any, shaking before useage. JDM...:cool:

amike5
04/28/2007, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9824791#post9824791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rick s
I do want to add: Are you saying it all clumps together to form one big ball or are you seeing small clumps like little styrofoam balls? On occasion, I have seen mine form the little balls, but then they disperse again. I've only seen that happen if I add more than normal at one time.

As mentioned above, do you add it in a very high flow area? Try adding it directly in front of a powerhead.

It goes in the sump in a disolved liquid form, but after a few secods flakes develope in the sump, lots of flakes. I only dose every other day, so it is usually a cup that gets dosed. I usually dose into my return area of my sump, but today I will try in the tank and see if I have the same problem.

amike5
04/28/2007, 10:32 AM
Well, when I slowly added the solution directly to the tank in a high flow area I only noticed a very small amount of precipitation. When I added it a little too quickly, it precipitated. I'll check in an hour or so to see if it raised my alk what it should have.