PDA

View Full Version : 180 stocking list

Juggler
04/26/2007, 08:29 PM
I am new to the site and i do have a 55 reef but have mostly joined for this forum. i am setting up a 180 gallon FO and i wanted suggestions on fish to add. Also i wanted to know how fish would fare in a tank with just lace rock and not much of it at that, maybe 50lbs just to make shelter for an eel?

Here is what i know i want: and btw no sharks lol.
Zebra moray
Volitan lion
Porcupine puffer
Naso or blue hippo tang

Along with these i was wondering if there is any type of trigger compatible. Mostly interested in the niger or picasso.

Would there be room for anything else?

stealthbimmer
04/26/2007, 08:48 PM
from what i have heard triggers w/ lions are iffy. They will most likely nip at the lion....

Juggler
04/27/2007, 08:16 AM
i was hoping for quicker answers on this site...

johno4
04/27/2007, 09:14 AM
the list looks good and yes lace rock is fine. As far as triggers with the lion maybe. I got rid of my niger and picasso when I wanted a lion. You might get lucky with a niger but I wouldnt waste your time trying with a picasso, they are more aggressive.

Juggler
04/27/2007, 04:03 PM
How about a miniatus grouper or some type of angel?

johno4
04/27/2007, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9827216#post9827216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Juggler
How about a miniatus grouper or some type of angel?

should be ok

LisaD
04/27/2007, 04:31 PM
how important is the lion to you? I think it limits your choices, as even the porc puffer may go after it.

I like angels, and would go with any of the hardier large angels.

You can see a nice selection here. I have had good luck with fish I bought from marinecenter.com, and they tend to specialize in rare angels (though I prefer to buy locally or order from liveaquaria):

http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/angelfish/

Juggler
04/28/2007, 03:19 PM
Anyone here own a yellow tail red coris wrasse? i really like them but would not want on if it is as territorial as my lunar wrasse

LisaD
04/28/2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't kept the coris. IMO a great wrasse is the Australian harlequin tuskfish. You can't go wrong with one of those and it is a good size for your tank.

Juggler
04/28/2007, 07:14 PM
lol that was the only other wrasse i was considering! i always liked them but they seem to be all beauty and no personality. Is that true?

Juggler
04/29/2007, 04:14 PM
Do you think a black hawaiian would be a better choice to mix with a lion than a niger?

Juggler
04/29/2007, 08:06 PM
Also could a Queen angel be mixed with an imperator? all i hear is no but all i see is mixing.

LisaD
04/30/2007, 07:52 AM
lol that was the only other wrasse i was considering! i always liked them but they seem to be all beauty and no personality. Is that true?
I wouldn't agree, I think they have a lot of personality. mine used to pick up and carry around coral rubble. they are mellow, but will stand up for themselves.

Do you think a black hawaiian would be a better choice to mix with a lion than a niger?
I'm not sure, it will probably depend more on the individual, but I would lean toward the black Hawaiian - it stays a bit smaller (I have an Indian, hard to find, but smaller still) and is slightly mellower, IMO.

Also could a Queen angel be mixed with an imperator? all i hear is no but all i see is mixing.

I see mixing too, but from what I have read and heard, queens tend to be harder than most for mixing. I'd find another to mix with the imperator.

Juggler
04/30/2007, 04:38 PM
THanks with all your help lisa!