PDA

View Full Version : ORA Purple Pillow question

Kirk_M
04/27/2007, 09:46 PM
Does anyone know what particular species of acropora the ORA Purple Pillow is? Also, what kind of light/flow does it prefer, if you've grown a frag out to a colony? I'm not getting great growth or polyp extension on mine, which I've had for probably 5 months now, whilst all other SPS I have are thriving.

Thanks,

Kirk

drtango
04/28/2007, 05:44 AM
I've heard some say it's A. lokani, though I'm really not sure.

Mine is at the top of the reef, under highest flow and under a 400w 14k Hamilton. I've scattered various frags around the reef, and it seems high flow is key. This colony started from an ORA frag. Mine is teal with purple tips, more purple under lower light.

John

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/totm/images/IMG_1429.JPG

Creetin
04/28/2007, 07:29 AM
I think it is Acropora speciosa. JMO

Neptune777
04/28/2007, 07:59 AM
Mine loves very high light and high random flow. Poor PE and slow growth is not a good sign for this specimen as it is known for being a fast grower and mine always has excellent PE. Where do you have yours placed? I'm 99.9% sure it's not lokani.......and it could be speciosa....who knows?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9829707#post9829707 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kirk_M
Does anyone know what particular species of acropora the ORA Purple Pillow is? Also, what kind of light/flow does it prefer, if you've grown a frag out to a colony? I'm not getting great growth or polyp extension on mine, which I've had for probably 5 months now, whilst all other SPS I have are thriving.

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk_M
04/28/2007, 08:42 AM
Mine's mid level in the tank...it should be getting good flow, but, I'll move it up higher and see what happens.

makoJ
04/28/2007, 08:48 AM
had mine in high light and low light and it looks good in both areas but in lower light mine went solid purlple so that where I keep it

jay24k
04/28/2007, 11:19 AM
Mine is on the bottom of my tank. It is too large for me to move up. I also have it in a lower flow area and it seems to do well. My avatar is mine. I've noticed 20K tanks bring out the green intensely. My 10K really purples the tips up. I get mad polyp extension on this colony.

edit: found the original pic. This is just a little area. I've noticed this coral is brittle and breaks very easily.

http://www.coralmania.com/march/purplepillow.jpg

SDguy
04/28/2007, 04:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9830841#post9830841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drtango
I've heard some say it's A. lokani, though I'm really not sure.

Mine is at the top of the reef, under highest flow and under a 400w 14k Hamilton. I've scattered various frags around the reef, and it seems high flow is key. This colony started from an ORA frag. Mine is teal with purple tips, more purple under lower light.

John

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/totm/images/IMG_1429.JPG

Holy moly! That's what the ORA purple pillow ends up looking like?! Next on my must have list I guess :D

teen
04/28/2007, 04:43 PM
mines under high light and medium flow. its not an ORA, its from TCN, if that makes a difference. it always has amazing polyp extension. mine looks more like the second one that was posted.

Kirk_M
04/28/2007, 05:33 PM
Amazing! Mine's a TCN frag too, but, I guess I haven't had it anywhere near where it should have been in the tank to get that kind of coloration. The frag was washed out to begin with (I have found that of all TCN frags that I have, while the ORA frags are very dark in coloration and then lighten up a little).

jay24k
04/28/2007, 08:12 PM
The purple pillow looks like a beautiful green under 20K's. When I got mine that is what it looked like. However, my 10K's brought the purple out.