PDA

View Full Version : Salt Mixes

EvilE
04/27/2007, 11:38 PM
I know, I know this subject I'm sure has been done a TRILLION times, but for us newbies, I believe it to be important. I started my tank using Aquatic Gardens salt, but recently found a great deal on Oceanic salt, so I was gonna slowly convert to Oceanic, but now I read good and bad things about Oceanic--I bought a bunch of it, and would hate to not use it, but I will switch to something "better" if seriously warranted. Thoughts on Oceanic salt compared to the other top brands??

drummereef
04/27/2007, 11:50 PM
From what I've seen it has an excessive amount of biocarbonate and calcium. I prefer Instant Ocean but have to boltser the calcium by about 70ppm at water changes. :)

EvilE
04/27/2007, 11:59 PM
I have read some salt mix studies, and although it measures higher then the others in calcium, it tested in the safe parameters. I dunno though, I think people's opinions are better then the studies, and I figured a ton of people on RC use/have used Oceanic--maybe I was wrong.

old salty
04/28/2007, 08:37 AM
I completely agree with what you said about opinions being better than studies; especially when the opinion is your own and has been formed from trial and error. Try Oceanic and see how your tank likes it. If it meets or exceeds your expectations, than you found a new brand. If not, well, there are plenty others out there. My opinion is that they are not created equal.

jeeperrs
04/28/2007, 08:43 AM
I use "reef crystals" which is just a little more expensive than instant ocean. I decided to use this because almost everyone I know uses that salt and they all seem to have very good success with it. I do have to say that my Cal and kH are on the low side but I top off with Kalkwasser and that corrects the prob.

wizzbane15
04/28/2007, 09:08 AM
the right salt is the one that works and fits YOUR parameters.

EvilE
04/28/2007, 10:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9831613#post9831613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wizzbane15
the right salt is the one that works and fits YOUR parameters. I agree, but being that I am relatively new to SW, I just wanted to start off on the right foot so to speak.

Lotus99
04/28/2007, 10:45 AM
I don't think there's anything necessarily "wrong" with Oceanic. I started off with it, and used it for the first four months. It didn't kill anything. Sure, the calcium is high, but the KH and pH were fine, no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates or phosphates in it.

If you really don't want to use it, maybe put an ad in the trading section and see if anyone else in your area wants it.