PDA

View Full Version : Can a puffer be added with tangs and clowns?

xenon
04/28/2007, 12:38 PM
I have a powder blue tang, naso tang and a pair of true percs.

Could a puffer be added to the tank with success?

Gary Majchrzak
04/28/2007, 12:42 PM
Puffers will destroy a reef aquarium. They're excellent candidates for a fish only system.

xenon
04/28/2007, 12:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9832625#post9832625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
Puffers will destroy a reef aquarium. They're excellent candidates for a fish only system.

I was under the impression they would just kill shrimp and snails.

Gary Majchrzak
04/28/2007, 01:13 PM
They can pretty much destroy anything- including artificial corals.

StephM33
04/28/2007, 01:19 PM
We have a Blue Hippo and Yellow along with 2 false percs with a Valentini Puffer, and as far as the fish go, we say absolutely no negative interaction at all, however we have a FOWLR (with invertebrates). We've also never had an issue with the puffer bothering any of our invertebrates. (this is the 2nd time with this type of puffer and it basically ignored everyone in the tank both times). Coral? I'm not sure. The books I have only say they're not recommended for reef tanks, but is that because of the risk to the invertebrates, or to the coral? Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that.

I believe the (White) Spotted Toby does eat all sorts of invertebrates, and for that matter tends to nip the fins of other fish as well, and is one of the more riskier of the puffers.

Hope this helps a bit.
Steph

AmosUSA
04/28/2007, 01:19 PM
I have had 9 different buffers in my time being in reef tanks. I have had problems with some and others no problem . Presently I have a blue dot puffer in my reef , he does'nt bother my reef at all . But then I keep him well fed other wise there swimming garbage cans eating and pecking at everything in site from my experience , I am lucky with mine he behaves.

sayn3ver
04/28/2007, 03:56 PM
each puffer has its own personality and disposition but in general they are a no no. I mean, their beaks are specially designed for breaking into hard objects, such as snail shells, clams, concles, etc. I don't have any personal experience but i have read all too often of them picking and eating coral as well. They might look all cute and cuddly, but deep down they are killers.;)

Gary Majchrzak
04/28/2007, 03:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9833495#post9833495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sayn3ver
They might look all cute and cuddly, but deep down they are killers.;)
I wouldn't call them killers. They're more like puppies that will chew on anything they can get ahold of.

bureau13
04/28/2007, 05:09 PM
I have a small blue-spotted puffer in my reef. I fully expect to have to remove him, but I'm crossing my fingers. I may use him as my excuse to set up another tank :D So far he's nailed a number of Nassarius snails and he picked at a LTA which as it turned out was already doomed, but other than that he's been OK. In fact, he started eating at the tang's algae clip and since then I haven't seen him do anything bad. I haven't had him that long however...

jds

AmosUSA
04/28/2007, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9833495#post9833495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sayn3ver
each puffer has its own personality and disposition but in general they are a no no. I mean, their beaks are specially designed for breaking into hard objects, such as snail shells, clams, concles, etc. I don't have any personal experience but I have read all too often of them picking and eating coral as well. They might look all cute and cuddly, but deep down they are killers.;)

I agree they are a no no in a reef tank. I have seen what they can do . For about 6 years I have been keeping two large puffers in my main large fish tank. One of them is a 18 inch leopard puffer and a 14 inch dog face puffer that share a tank with my moray, and lion fish. Them being so large I would never take chance in a reef tank . But my little blue dot puffer has special privileges because he does not bother anything in my tank. Matter of fact he eats the algae clip I have for my blue tang. yes they are like puppy dogs getting into things. There beaks are sharp and have an incredible biting force I have one puffer that just bites off pieces of rock when he gets bored in my tank so they can destroy a reef tank vary quickly that's for sure. But they are awesome fish because they have great personalities

Randall_James
04/28/2007, 06:12 PM
With the 2 tangs already in a 90G tank, I would not add it

StephM33
04/28/2007, 06:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9834153#post9834153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
With the 2 tangs already in a 90G tank, I would not add it

Why not? Is your reasoning because the Tangs need all the room they can get, or do you feel there will be agression between the puffer and Tangs?

Curious...

Randall_James
04/28/2007, 07:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9834419#post9834419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StephM33
Why not? Is your reasoning because the Tangs need all the room they can get, or do you feel there will be agression between the puffer and Tangs?

Curious... I feel tangs typically require a 6' tank. Having two of them in a 4' tank is a bit on the the sketchy side IMO. Also, powder blues tend to be pretty sensitive to water quality and puffers are pretty hard on water quality (they eat a lot, and are pretty sloppy).
Most puffers get pretty large themselves and 90G might be pretty tight for them.

I sure like the personality of puffers however, if a fish could be a pet, that would be a good candidate :)